Kent Test - Length of non verbal reasoning paper

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Carterm

Kent Test - Length of non verbal reasoning paper

Post by Carterm »

Hi - my daughter sits the Kent Test next month and I'm anxious to know how long the NVR paper is and how many questions there are. There is no consistency in the practice papers we have - some are 60 questions in 50 minutes, some are 60 in 25/30 minutes - quite a difference! Any help much appreciated
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

The number of sections and the time for each section varies from year to year. Some are 5 sections of 12, some 4 sections of 18 etc.
I suggest you prepare your child to be flexible so he/she is not fazed on the day if the layout is not as expected.
Hope this helps
reddebs
red_debs
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

My understanding is that the time allocated to each section equates to approximately 30 seconds per question. I hope this helps.
Desperate Dan

Post by Desperate Dan »

reddebs,

As the total time for the test appears to remain constant from year to year, does this mean that when there are 4 x 18 questions rather than 5 x 12 that they are slightly easier?
SSM

Post by SSM »

I think that there are normally the same number of questions but different numbers of sections.

I think maybe reddebs meant to say 6 sections of 12 questions and 4 sections of 18.
alfie2

Post by alfie2 »

Our school did the practice tests in NVR yesterday and my daughter was a bit disconcerted that each section was timed individually with no opportunity to go back to missed questions or to check on more difficult ones if there was spare time at the end?

It seems a bit rigid and makes any advice to answer the easy ones first and then go back later to the harder ones.

Is this normal?
Alfie
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Alfie2 - absolutely normal. If you've done the Nfer NVR papers you will see that they are in sections of 12 questions, with 6 minutes allowed for each section. DS2 did Kent test in January last year and practice and real tests followed this format (although sections were not all the same length).
toy

Post by toy »

Hi Bexley mum 2, does that mean that the real test would follow the format of the practise test?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Toy - in what sense? Out of county candidates did Nfer set A for practice - I don't know if Kent candidates did the same for practice. The real Kent Nfer NVR will consist of sections which are timed and completed individually, but I don't know how many questions there will be in each section.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

My child attends a Kent school and was given an NFER practice paper although I have no idea which one.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now