Please help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Confused

Please help!

Post by Confused »

Like a majority of parents I am preparing to step onto the 11+ path. I wil contact the LEA for REDBRIDGE to see what papers are involved in the examination. However, if some of you considerate parents could let me have any details of competent, commendable tutors in REDBRIDGE I would be very grateful. Unfortunately, my circumstances do not allow me to do this myself.

In advance I thank you for your time to read my plea and any response would be much appreciated.

Post by 007 »

Hello Confused,
I can tell you what papers are involved.These are verbal and non verbal reasoning multiple choice format papers.I was told that the NFER NELSON Papers are the closest to the exam papers.My Daughter took her non verbal reasoning test last month and she said there were some Nfer Nelson type questions in the exam.Unfortunately I personally do not know any tutors,cos I tutored my daughter myself.Sorry that I counldn't help with your question asked. :(

Post by 007 »

Me Again,
I'm asuming it's the 11+ for ilford or woodford county grammars.Otherwise the papers will be different for any other grammar schools.

Confused

Thank You

Post by Confused »

007 for taking the time out to reply. Most appreciated. The schools will be Ilford County and Woodford County.

I guess I need to but some books. Could you recommend some which will provide skills for practice, codes, etc.

Many thanks.
Confused

Thank You

Post by Confused »

007 for taking the time out to reply. Most appreciated. The schools will be Ilford County and Woodford County.

I guess I need to but some books. Could you recommend some which will provide skills for practice, codes, etc.

Many thanks.

Post by 007 »

Hi,
When I asked the same question I was told to buy the Bond assessment papers and test papers.Also Bond does how to do non verbal and verbal reasoning which explain some of the techniques used.Nfer Nelson also do test papers but there are only 4 of each available to buy which familarizes you with the types of questions asked.As far as I know The nfer Nelson are closest to the actual exam.My daughter will be taking the verbal reasoning test in 10 days time so I'll be happy to let you know what types of questions were asked,bareing in mind that any info will be coming from my 10 year old daughter.

Nou

Post by Nou »

My daughter passed NFER VR & NVR in another area.
If the tests are NFER than there is not much point buying Bond VR because they are quite different. I bought the Bond VR book and it wasn't really relevant. As far as VR is concerned I found the Tutors papers (available as e-papers) and CD roms (1 & 3) available from this site to be excellent. I also used the IPS How to do VR book and their papers are also good but shorter than the real thing. Look at Patricia's postings on the site - she is a VR expert. That will give you the relevant information.

As far as NVR is concerned there is not so much around. There are some e-papers sold on this site which are good. AFN also do papers but they are a bit easier than NFER. Athey and Bond also do NVR papers but the former in particular are not that similar to the real exams. We found the Bond ones reasonably similar to some of the NFER ones. There are a couple of How to Do NVR type books around, I got the Bond one it was OK but some of the questions are a bit different. Perhaps have a look at the books in a large newsagent like Smiths before you decide.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now