What Type of VR queestion is this - please help?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

What Type of VR question is this - please help?

Post by um »

In my son's latest VR AFN test he got the whole of one section wrong. I'm trying to understand what 'type' this is as I understand there are 21 types, and at least if I have this info we can practice that 'type' more.
If you have any suggestions for technique I'd love to hear them as well.

The question was:

There are 4 words and 3 codes written below. The codes are in a different order to the words and one code is missing.

MOLE LEAD MADE DEAL

4385 4675 7538

Thank you so much in advance!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

This is how I would work it out.

Of the codes you are given only one of them has a 6 in it - MOLE is the only word with an O in it therefore O must represent 6. Therefore you know the code must be 4675 for MOLE. You can take the L and the E to be 7 and 5 respectively and apply these to the other words so LEAD must be 7538 and MADE must then be 4385 and the code for DEAL then becomes 8537.

Hope that helps?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

first write out the numbers in the code

you have 2 words beginning with the same letter M

you have 2 codes beginning with 4

you can assume that M = 4

you have 2 words ending in same letter E
2 codes ending in 5

so you can deduce 5-= E

from this you can find the code for the other letter in the 2 words

4675 may be MALE

DOES L =7?

THE 5=E FITS IN ...

You can work out all the letter/code relationships. It takesa while to work the code rule out, but after that the rest of teh questions should be straight forward
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

I think this is type 3 or N.

I will pm you.

Edit - too slow to answer yet again!
Y

Post by Y »

Be warned that the AFN tests are easier than publishers such as IPS. Check out the section for your area for how difficult your area's 11+ is.
scooby1

Post by scooby1 »

Y i have been using AFN fro verbal and non verbal as they were recommended. In comparison to the NFER papers how do they compare? Which papers would you recommend. He has is 11 plus in three weeks.
Thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Scooby1

Which school/area is your child testing for?

Patricia
scooby1

Post by scooby1 »

We live in Trafford. DS will be sitting for Altrincham, Sale and Urmston Grammar schools.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

There are 4 words and 3 codes written below. The codes are in a different order to the words and one code is missing.

MOLE LEAD MADE DEAL

4385 4675 7538
I have found a technique that works for us. :)

Start by writing out the codes on a piece of scrap paper leaving a gap between each line, so you can fill in the letters.

4 3 8 5

4 6 7 5

7 5 3 8

Look down each column for pairs.

Column one 4 4 7 compare with first letter of codes M L M D, so 4=M
Column two 3 6 5 no pairs, next 8 7 3 no pairs
Column four 5 5 8, E D E L so 5=E

(If you get 558 X Y X Y then 5=X or Y and you need to resolve!)

M____E
4 3 8 5
M____E
4 6 7 5
_E____
7 5 3 8

For lots of codes the answer would now fall into place, but not this one. :lol:

Looking at the codes 6 is unique so could be O. Which in this case unlocks 4675 as MOLE.

This gets a bit visual so hard to explain clearly. Contradicting myself and switching to looking at the letters!
Other clues that work are a letter that appears first and last, a pair of letters, double letters, a letter that appears often or once.

Overall I have the found the grid method has helped us as it gives a big visual clue. Focusing on the numbers(codes) removes the red herring of the word that has no code.

steve
Y

Post by Y »

scooby1 wrote:Y i have been using AFN fro verbal and non verbal as they were recommended. In comparison to the NFER papers how do they compare? Which papers would you recommend. He has is 11 plus in three weeks.
Thanks.
I'm not familiar with the NVR side, so can't offer any advice on that.

As I remember it with AFN (did them with my DD) there are 100 questions to complete in 50 minutes, so the completion rate needs to be faster than for NFER (80 questions in 50 minutes). BUT, my DD and I found the AFN questions MUCH easier than NFER. I didn't use AFN with my DS for that reason.

If your area uses NFER VR to the same standard and style as Bucks, then I would move on rapidly to the Susan Daughtrey (Bright Sparks) and NFER papers. Bear in mind that the NFER papers only offer 15 of the 21 question types, so while your DS is working on NFER papers he needs to be continuing to practise the 'missing' question types (Type H, I, K, N, O and S according to the IPS categorisation). Note also that the published NFER papers have 85 question rather than 80. If you are timing a paper, get your DS to work up to question 80 only in the time, and finish off the other 5 afterwards.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now