Mentioning teaching standards of school at an appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Grace

Mentioning teaching standards of school at an appeal

Post by Grace »

We have a very good recommendation from the headteacher for academic potential but are facing a 3 for attitude.
It has been explained to us that our child is often found reading when he is waiting for a difficult class to settle and so is not always attending. Attention to detail and reading further on a subject also leads to work not being completed.
We believe that different teaching and classroom expectations would challenge this attitude and allow full potential to be unlocked but would be reluctant to criticise the school at appeal.
Any advice?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - a difficult one! Have you any evidence e.g. an Ofsted report, that you could use instead of your opinion?

If you are asked 'why a 3' just explain as simply as you have done - without criticising - I see it as a 'coping' menchanism by your child and hopefully a perceptive panel member would too
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree with Guest55. Be as factual as possible.

If it's any comfort, I never once sat on a panel that gave any weight to "Attitude"! The criteria, after all, are Academic Ability and Extenuating Circumstances.

Regards
Etienne
Grace

Mentioning teaching standards at appeal

Post by Grace »

Thanks for the advice.

We went to appeal this morning with just one line burried in the the middle of our academic evidence. It was picked up on as a question by one of the panel and we were able to expand simply, at their leading.
Who knows what the outcome will be but we feel we have done everything we can.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Grace

I think this particular point will carry a bit more weight than it might otherwise have done.

You handled it well!
Etienne
Grace

Post by Grace »

We heard we were successful today!

We found it helpful to get as much written evidence from the school as possible and use their words, stressing academic ability before extenuating circumstances.
Thank you all.
This forum can become addictive!

Grace
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's great - well done!

Thanks for letting us all know - it helps those still waiting that justice is being done!

Any other tips you can pass on e.g. the questions you were asked will be most welcome.

Hope you get the school you want now! Which one are you hoping for?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Congratulations, Grace!
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Brilliant news. I felt sick to my stomach that he is classed as inattentive by reading when waiting for his naughty class to settle. I would say what a fantastic attitude.
Grace

Post by Grace »

They asked many of the questions already mentioned.
What books is he reading?
How did he feel after the test/after results?
How did you feel? Did you expect him to pass?
How much homework does he get?--leading to: Would he cope with the work load, homework, pressure? type questions
Is he competetive?
They dug deep to find out mitigating circumstances.
We did feel that whilst we were put through the mill in a big way (tears!) they were very interested in finding out why he did not pass.
We had prepared hugely for our statement but our answers to the questions were heartfelt and spontaneous.

Grace
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now