Results

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

huntlie

Results

Post by huntlie »

Interesting that Sutton High School (GDST) achieved 87.5% of pupils at A / B grades, 0.5% above Nonsuch High School (Grammar) which is supposedly rigorously academically selective.

What really fascinates me is that whereas Nonsuch kicks them out after GCSE if they don;t get all a and A*, Sutton High has a declared policy of keeping them on and doing their best for them. Looks like they are succeeding.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't know either of the schools in question but am conscious that it is very difficult to compare these percentages.
The key is the denominator. If school A has pupils who take 6 A levels each and 80% get A/B then many would consider them to be more succesful than school B where the pupils only do 3 A levels but 90% of them get A/B. I suppose this is where the total points comes in.?

Other things to consider are that many independent schools offer substantial scholarships to bright children to join the 6th form who will enhance the schools A level total - equally many GS take in children who have been at secondary moderns / comprehensives who may have the same effect - depends again on the numbers in question
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

They are both excellent schools and I would be happy to have a child at either. :D
As Hermanmunster wisely states the number taking exams has a huge affect on percentages.Both state( websites) that they advise girls to take A levels in subjects in which they gained an A in in GCSE.

Well done to all the students who gained good grades today.There is a very happy thread about this on the 6th form section. :D
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

Nobody would go to Sutton High on a Scholarship (at maxmum 50% of fees, most often very much less) if they had passed for Nonsuch! And the fact remains that SHS keeps girls on with B grades at GCSE and then gets A and B grades at A level out of those girls, whereas Nonsuch tells them that 'you will be happier elesewhere' if they do not get all A* and A at GCSE. Small wonder then that those who make the cut do so well!
melinda

Post by melinda »

just to say that my daughter went to Sutton High and did well. She stayed on for A levels (and no she did not get straight A's). We were very happy with her schooling and also, importantly, the good, long lasting friends she has made. She was never stressed about exams, although that may be the way she is rather than the influence of the school.
Now at Nottingham University and loving it.

I have heard rumours (and I stress they are rumours) about Nonsuch being a hot house and of girls being very stressed and pressured. Whether this is true or not, I feel the transfer situation to sixth form if they fail to achieve the results the school wants is not fair. It's all about league tables of course.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I have only known girls at Nonsuch who were happy there. :D And I have known/know a fair few.

I do know of a boy asked not to stay on at a local (to Nonsuch) grammar as he "only" got bs at GCSE. His father had died a couple of months before his exams.
I found that terribly shocking.

If the right kind of child is in Nonsuch then it should not be too much pressure.Parents who overly push their children whether they are in the indep sector or grammar are responsible for "stresssed" children.

When my Dd started at a superselective in Essex ( top 120 no siblings/locality criteria etc), people were queueing up to try to scare me with stories of stress/ hothousing etc.It couldn't be further from the truth.

I am sure your Gd will be very happy and successful at Sutton high Huntlie.Good luck to her. :D
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I agree it is interesting.
I believe that given good teaching and motivated parents, a reasonably bright child, not a brilliant one will succeed academically.
If parents are willing to pay school fees then they are by definition motivated re their child's education.I would hope that a school that requires fees to be paid would have an added incentive to monior the quality of teaching.
Yes I believe class size still matters too.At DD's school there are 180 in each sixth form year.( similar to Nonsuch) This has to make a difference.Although good teaching in this setting still produces results.(DDs' school coming 9th nationally for A levels).
However if I had a child that was struggling a little in some aspect of their A level studies, I would guess they would receive more help in the smaller indep setting.
Last point...in the Sutton/Croydon area, Sutton High is regarded as the more academic of the indep girls' schools. I have known two families turn it down for this reason.One took a place at an indep school in Croydon and one in Banstead.The girls that go to Sutton high are of a good academic standard whether it is because they have come through the excellent quality prep school or because they apply in year 6 and pass the test.
So LLL that was a long and inconclusive answer from me.Nice to see you back.Hope you had a good summer. 8)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now