What is the difference between IAN and PAN and Net capacity?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loveandlight

What is the difference between IAN and PAN and Net capacity?

Post by loveandlight »

What is the difference between a schools's Indicated Admission Number and the Published Admission Number and the Net Capacity?

Thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Net Capacity is a physical measurement of a school's buildings and facilities. This equates to the total number of pupils that it is deemed the school can theoretically hold. (It's always interesting to compare the net capacity with the NOR - the total number of pupils actually on roll. It's harder for the school to complain about overcrowding in corridors and communal areas if the Number on Roll is in fact less than the Net Capacity.)

From the net capacity is derived the IAN (Indicated Admission Number) for the number of pupils each year group can accommodate. This is again a theoretical number, and can be modified by agreement if there is a good reason. The actual admission number is then called the PAN (Published Admission Number).

For example, a school might have an IAN of 177. However, the admission authority could decide that 6 classes of 30 would make more sense, and settle for a PAN of 180.

It's usually a good idea to compare the IAN and PAN, and - if there's a significant difference - ask at stage 1 of an appeal for an explanation.

If the PAN is lower than the IAN, it suggests that there is room in the year group for more pupils.

See also
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#c13
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#c14

These are 'stage 1 matters', and, as I've written elsewhere, most cases tend to be won or lost at stage 2 when parents give their reasons for wanting a place.
Etienne
loveandlight

Post by loveandlight »

That was a very helpful reply Etienne, thank you.

Can a school keep their PAN intentionally low even though they are clearly exceeding their admission numbers every year? I'm talking numbers in excess of 30 every year not just the odd one or two.

The school I am interested in last had their PAN set 8 years ago but there has been milions and millions of pounds spent on the school since then but they say the money has been spent on just replacing buildings and not enlarging them. There has never at any time in the past ever been a mention of cramped coniditons and they have always boasted about spacious buildings etc.

It seems to me that the PAN is such a crucial number as it seems to form the basis for all the schools figures.

Is it worth me trying to get hold of previous Net Assessment Capacity forms instead of the recent one they sent me so I can compare?

I have already been given a copyof a Net Capacity Assess form the school produced two months ago from a neighbour and all the figures apart from the PAN are very different to what I have been given by the school.

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

loveandlight wrote:Can a school keep their PAN intentionally low even though they are clearly exceeding their admission numbers every year? I'm talking numbers in excess of 30 every year not just the odd one or two.
I think they would have to justify what they're doing. The previous Admissions Code of Practice talked about exceeding the PAN only in 'exceptional circumstances'.

The new (2009) Admissions Code of Practice does now give schools a bit more flexibility:
“Once an admission number has been set by the admission authority, schools should not admit children above the published number unless the school and the local authority agree that admitting above that number will not adversely affect the school in the longer term and will not have a detrimental effect on neighbouring schools. A school can make representations to the local authority (or the Secretary of State in the case of an Academy) to admit above their published admission number. They should submit their request before 31 January in the offer year, at which time the local authority needs to know where places will be allocated as part of their co-ordinated scheme. Additionally, requests can be made after national offer day. Children can also be admitted above the published admission number as part of fair access protocols (see Chapter 3) or as a transitional measure in the case of a closing school ….. In the case of maintained schools, the local authority, as the strategic commissioner of school places, has the final decision over whether a school can admit above its published admission number. For Academies the final decision rests with the Secretary of State. Admission authorities must consider the overall effect on the school in continually admitting over the admission number and where they admit more than a total of 26 children above their admission number in any three year period, they must determine a higher admission number at the next opportunity. Admitting above the admission number does not amount to an increase in the school’s admission number which can only be changed via the determination of admission arrangements or once determined, for a maintained school, via a referral to the Schools Adjudicator.â€
Etienne
loveandlight

Post by loveandlight »

Once again I thank you most sincerely Etienne.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now