Apparent decline in maths levelin year 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GemmaB

Apparent decline in maths level in year 7

Post by GemmaB »

Hello
My DD did very well after a slow start with maths - (not a natural mathematician) and got a 4a (almost a 5) in end of year 6 sats.
Now at end year 7 in local good comp school she got level 4b. All other subjects show good progress and she is above average in all other subjects. Her target for Y9 is level 7. I have queried this but was told it has been worked out via SATS and CAT tests and will not be adjusted.
Should I be concerned with this drop? I know its early days but I don't want her to drop further behind, and I can't see her getting anywhere near a level 7.
Any advice gratefully received.
Many thanks
fm

Post by fm »

Dear GemmaB,

First of all, it won't be the end of the world if she doesn't make it and going up 3 levels is quite a jump. Personally I would set 6 as a realistic target as far as you and she are concerned and not worry too much about the school target.

The 4a she got will be based on a Key Stage 2, 3-5 level paper, the 4b is probably based on a Key Stage 3, 4-6 paper. If you have a look at an example of each (you can download from internet), you'll see the content is different. If she is not a confident mathematician, she may take a while to adjust to new things such as algebra, more advanced calculator work and trickier shape work. Thus she may have performed at 4b level on that paper but still be able to produce a 4a or even 5c on the primary paper with which she is more familiar.

My own son was a 4B at primary school, went to a fairly mediocre comprehensive which set him a target of 5 for Year 9 which I thought low (although this was not personal to him as the whole of set 3 was given a target of 5), he scored a 6 with some help from me and eventually went on to score a B at GCSE with a significant amount of help from me. If your school is setting 7, then they clearly are ambitious for her and, trust me, that is better than having low expectations.

Just keep trying to bolster her confidence and help her if you can. Confidence is very important with maths because it is such a logical subject--if you get in a 'tizz', then logic goes out the window.
GemmaB

Post by GemmaB »

Thank you fm.
I appreciate your experience
I would imagine the difference in presentation and content may have thrown her (combined with 4 different teachers over the year!) I willl look at the papers - thanks for the advice.

I struggle to know how much to help her as I don't want to scare her off by making things too formal. ( this has happened before!) I will try and have a think about how to do this better.

Thanks again - you did a great job with your son by the sound of things. If we can emulate you I'll be more than happy!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now