how to find a secondary school tutor

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

how to find a secondary school tutor

Post by 40 »

I have been trying to find a tutor for classics. I have tried HCC website as they do list them but had no luck either dont reply or dont cover sw herts. I was thinking of emailing local schools that offer these subjects to ask if their teachers tutor but i'm not sure how this would be recieved. Does anyone know if schools would not want their teachers tutoring children from other schools? Also I know we cant use this forum for finding a tutor but if anyone can help can you pm me please?

thanks!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you tried an agency?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

try googling classics tutor+ 'the name of where you live'

Post by 40 »

hi yoyo & snowdrops

Thanks for relying. I have tried a couple of agencies and jact, and think I will be able to find a latin tutor not too far away, but I cant seem to find anyone in SW herts for ancient history/classical civilisations even though a couple of the consortium schools offer as subjects. It's very frustrating that some children have accsess to these subjects and others dont. We all know it very much depends on where you live as to what school your child will get even though we are supposed to get a choice I don't think we do really.
Y

Post by Y »

If you can find a Latin tutor, wouldn't they be able to do the classical civ side, too? Do check out the Cambridge Latin Course website; their course offers a balance of Latin language and Roman history. There is also a good deal of stuff on-line, plus a CD for each level of the course which is intended to support even students who don't have a teacher. If you start at the beginning, you could purchase the Cambridge Latin Course book 1, and CD 1, and begin to work through the course with your child, until you can locate a tutor. You might manage quite well without one for a little while.

Post by 40 »

Hello Y

Yes I have had a look at the cambridge course and we are using the minimus course at home, as well as working through various books covering trojan war, myths, greek theatre ect..but I have to admit I am completly out of my depth. I never did anything like this and I cant help her with pronounciations. She already knows more than me and I just feel I need a face to face real person to help her as I cant answer any of her questions or hold a conversation re the above with her. :oops:

Thank you though, for taking the time to read and reply to my posts, its great to know there are people trying to help
Y

Post by Y »

Hi 40

I would suggest that your DC is a bit old for the Minimus course; the Cambridge course is quite clearly structured, and if you start at the beginning and work carefully through, you should be OK. This link : http://www.cambridgescp.com/page.php?p=il^b1^materials (sorry, can't see how to turn HTML on) shows how an independent learner can work without access to a Latin teacher.

As for pronunciation, nobody knows exactly how Latin was pronounced! I bought the tape that goes with the Minimus course, thinking I might hear an attempt at a Latin accent, but it was very much English. According to the link above, The Cambridge course offers pronunciation help for independent learners, and if you buy the DVD, you can click on passages to have them read out to you.

The basics of Latin pronunciation are generally:
'ae' is pronounced 'eye',
'v' is pronounced 'w',
'i' is pronounced 'ee'
'g' is pronounced as in 'gate'
'c' is pronunced as in 'clever'.
Pretty much everything else is pronounced as you would say it in English, and Latin spelling is completely phonetic. Pretty much every letter is pronounced (even double letters), and there are no irregularities in the spelling. Lines over vowels indicate that they are 'long', but I haven't got to grips with what that really means in Latin - I think you really do just say the vowel for longer. Perhaps someone out there knows the answer?

Incidentally, I was once recommended the Galore Park book 'So you really want to learn Latin', but looking at it at a friend's house, it's very dry.

Y
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

This link : http://www.cambridgescp.com/page.php?p=il^b1^materials (sorry, can't see how to turn HTML on)
Hi Y

I tried to edit that to make the link for you, but it wouldn't. Very odd. :?

40/B - if you copy and paste the link into your browser without the URLs and brackets it will work.

S-A
Y

Post by Y »

Sally-Anne wrote:
This link : http://www.cambridgescp.com/page.php?p=il^b1^materials (sorry, can't see how to turn HTML on)
Hi Y

I tried to edit that to make the link for you, but it wouldn't. Very odd. :?

40/B - if you copy and paste the link into your browser without the URLs and brackets it will work.

S-A
Yes, it is odd, isn't it? I've had the problem before, and assumed it is because HTML is off, but I can't switch it on from within the message. Most links will embed properly without the HTML codes, but this one only highlighted to the (first?) caret. I'll see if I can find anything in my profile.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

We had a similar problem trying to find a latin tutor a few years ago. We eventually found somone through the TES classics forum, although it was a bit flukey

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/65.aspx

I found agencies don't tend to stock latin tutors. However I do think it is worth contacting the latin teachers at local secondary schools as our tutor taught locally and some friends managed to get another local teacher to tutor them. Don't forget you can try prep schools as many of them have classics tutors too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now