First day of school

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kentish maid

First day of school

Post by kentish maid »

DD up, showered ( without being nagged!!) and dressed by 6.30am. Looked very smart. She wouldn't listen to me and decided to take everything to school today on the bus ( full PE kit, science apron, technology apron, etc.) instead of staggering the load.

Good luck to all starting out at secondary school this term. Cant wait to hear how the first day has gone.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh well done Kentish Miss!! Let's hope she keeps it up - will you be taking any bets?

Yes, my dd is insisting on taking everything in with her the first day (Friday). Despite being assured she won't have hockey, lacrosse, tennis and swimming all on the same day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to everyone starting their new schools for the first time and once again, well done to you all!!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I live near a Grammar school and I caught sight of a mother walking down the road in tears having dropped her DD off for the first time! A mixture of pride and the start of her little girl growing up i'm sure.
For a lot of parents that proud first day is the culmination of a period of hard work stress and tears (by both parents and child)!
Well done and congratulations to all of you!
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

DS has his first day at GS tomorrow... Are most people sending them in with full PE kit or just rucksack and essentials.

I think lugging round football boots, indoor and outdoor trainers etc would be too much on day 1. They don't have lockers so was hoping that I would wait until he gets his timetable before sending 'everything' in. What are other folks doing?
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

The showering without protest is the most amazing part. :D

I think rucksack and essentials, but couldn't convince DD of this. She does get a locker ( in fact 2!!!) so I was not worried about her having to lug it all back again. I know two of her friends also did the same.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

First day is not til Tuesday next week :roll: good job really cos I have not got round to labelling uniform etc.
andyb

Post by andyb »

bucks mum1 wrote:DS has his first day at GS tomorrow... Are most people sending them in with full PE kit or just rucksack and essentials.

I think lugging round football boots, indoor and outdoor trainers etc would be too much on day 1. They don't have lockers so was hoping that I would wait until he gets his timetable before sending 'everything' in. What are other folks doing?
DS has been told to just take a notebook, pen and pencil on the first day. Did your DS's school give out a "Welcome to Year 7" information booklet? Information overload but good to refer back to. I am guessing they will then be given a timetable and the rest of his stuff can go in as and when. The lockers are not very big - certainly not big enough for full PE kit so he will only be taking what he needs each day - I hope he doesn't have indoor, outdoor and swimming all timetabled on the same day! :wink: (not likely I know)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

A huge, huge 'good luck' to all those children who are starting at their new schools in the next few days!!!

LucyLou's Mum

First Day

Post by LucyLou's Mum »

My DD starts at Shottery next Tuesday and can't wait. At every opportunity she has been trying her uniform on. DD has been told to take her PE kit in on the first day, although I have suggested she just take the basics not the whole caboodle. One thing we have read is that we get a mini padlock for the sports bag! DD also has to take a cheque in for the lunch card. I have been a bit remiss in sending off for the bus pass and will be doing that tomorrow and wondered if anyone had any experience on turn around times (not that I'm planning to send DD by bus on her first day - although her Nan has offered to accompany her by using her pensioners bus pass!!) :lol:
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

My DS starts tomorrow & can't wait. He is insistant on taking all sports kit/tech apron/dictionary etc. The bags weigh a ton before books ! By the time he reaches sixth form I'm anticipating he'll have become a lad of gargantuan proportions,purely to cope with the weight lifting :lol:
Eds Mum-love the Care Bear-it had to be green ! :lol:
Good luck & best wishes to all, in the coming few days excitement xx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now