Only Reasoning!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nathair

Only Reasoning!

Post by Nathair »

My DD is applying for Skipton Girl's Grammar. The letter came today and says
The assessment of academic suitability for a Grammar School education in Skipton will be by standardised verbal reasoning test and a non verbal reasoning test drawn up by GL Assessment and should take about 2 1/2 hours.
.....arrive 9.30 for 10.00am start on Tuesday 8 September (Familiarisation test), Friday 11 September (First actual Test) and Tuesday 15 September (Second actual test)
Typical, she's a whizz at English and good at maths, but she's not as good with reasoning, averaging 70%, some days better, some days worse :?
I swear they only do it to make me more stressed :roll:

Anyone else had this, 3 days of exams all on reasoning?
andyb

Post by andyb »

Bucks 11+ is 3 verbal reasoning familiarization papers, followed by 2 verbal reasoning tests of 50 mins each.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, Nathair, it's the standard exam format for all of North Yorkshire.

My dd and Bougalou's dd sat the same exam last year.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Thanks for the replys, I was just shocked that I've only found out with a week to go :roll:
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Snowdrops, do you find out how the familiarisation test goes apart from DC telling you? Do they bring it home or anything? Just wondering :?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

No, they don't bring anything home with them afterwards.

The two real test days will follow the same format (more or less) as the familiarisation day.

You will get your results mid October, in time to put your CAF form in and include the grammar school(s) if you so wish.

The results letter will tell you the pass mark needed and the mark you dc achieved.

You can request the raw scores from the area education office if you so wish (I did :D )

Good luck with it all Nathair, I will have my fingers crossed for you and your dc.
Nathair

New panic!!!

Post by Nathair »

Thanks Snowdrops, I really appreciate it.Okay now I have something else to panic about,

Clitheroe Royal Website
Saturday 10th October 2009
Parents will be informed as to whether their son/daughter has reached the required standard for entry to the school. Please note the number of candidates reaching the required standard may be greater than the number of places available. Further details will be given at the open evening.
Friday 16th October 2009
Parents must return the completed Local Authority application form to their son/daughter’s current primary school. To be considered for a place Clitheroe Royal Grammar School must be listed as one of the three preferences.
Skipton Girls Website
16th October 2009 - Results of selection tests posted to parents.
31st October 2009 - Closing date for return of Common Application Forms for North Yorkshire. This date will be slightly different for girls living in other Local Authorities - please contact your own Local Authority for details.
Does that mean I have to gamble on weather DD has passed for Skipton when I put the form in, or will I be able to get the results early, or delay putting the form in for a week?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Nathair, on the Clitheroe website, does it tell you when you have to submit your CAF?

The dates for exam results are quite close so Lancashire may have the same CAF date as North Yorkshire (finger's crossed!!).

Let's try and find that date first before you panic
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hmmm, according to the Lancashire CC website, the forms do need to be submitted by 16th October :cry:

http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate ... =410&tab=1

In that case, what I'd do if I were you is ring up North Yorkshire area edcuation office on: 0845 0349467 and expalin the circumstances and ask if it's possible to ring up and get you DC's results on the Friday (16th October - same day as the CAF's need to be handed in!!). If they will give you the results via the 'phone (possibly pre-arranging arranging passwords etc if they are concerned about security) then quickly fill in the CAF form and take it personally to your DC's school.

Or, you can take a chance and just put it on your form ...............
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

:cry: Arrrgh more stress!!!! :evil: :evil:
Thanks for that number, I'll ring them in a bit and let you know what they say.