Clarification please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pilchard

Clarification please

Post by pilchard »

I've recently found this site and, whilst pleased to have found so much information, I'm also feeling completely overwhelmed!

Please can some kind soul check that my understanding is correct? DS will sit the 11+ at a state grammar next year. We've been using Bond (Yr 4 level during Yr 4) in a very low key way, but having reviewed the school's website, have noticed that they use NFER. It's my understanding from this forum that Bond is now not that appropriate and that we should switch publishers.

Shall I just jump to past papers (I'm worried that this may be too much), or are there relevant books that are suitable for NFER preparation but not quite at full 11+ level? He's a Summer born child and I could do with a Yr 5 bridge between the Yr 4 Bond books and the full 11+ paper. As you can tell, we're not going down the tutor route as funds are an issue and we want to keep this as low key as possible, but I still want to give him some preparation over the coming academic year as the school does nothing that I can tell.

Apologies for the ramble, but I really want to make sure that any work we do is relevant and pitched at the right level. At what point should he be practising 11+ style papers? Speed doesn't seem to be an issue presently, but he's got until Nov 2010 to get from Yr 4 Bond papers to 11+ standard. Don't want to peak too soon, but peaking at some point would be a good idea! :D

Thanks in advance
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

what area are you in?
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

Our local school is Colyton Grammar in Devon.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll move this question to the Devon Forum, you may find you get more replies there.

I'm not really familiar with that area, only Kent test.
Villagedad

Re: Clarification please

Post by Villagedad »

pilchard wrote:Shall I just jump to past papers (I'm worried that this may be too much), or are there relevant books that are suitable for NFER preparation but not quite at full 11+ level? He's a Summer born child and I could do with a Yr 5 bridge between the Yr 4 Bond books and the full 11+ paper. As you can tell, we're not going down the tutor route as funds are an issue and we want to keep this as low key as possible, but I still want to give him some preparation over the coming academic year as the school does nothing that I can tell.
Hi Yoyo
Pilchard does ask a very interesting question though which is relevant to Kent, namely:

"are there relevant books that are suitable for NFER preparation but not quite at full 11+ level? He's a Summer born child and I could do with a Yr 5 bridge between the Yr 4 Bond books and the full 11+ paper."

Does material exist as I too would like our DS to do practice during year 4 that is Kent NFER relevant, but not the stuff ones DC would do at the start of year 5, which would be too advanced..

Thanks in advance
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

are these VR, NVR or maths resources you need?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

yoyo123 wrote:are these VR, NVR or maths resources you need?
All 3 as all 3 are tested in Kent

Thanks
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

Colyton tests VR and Maths using 11+ format MC papers. The school also sets its own English paper which comprises some creative writing and either some comprehension or letter writing.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

okey dokey, I'll put my thinking cap on...

bear with me
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Have you looked at the Tutors verbal reasoning beginners downloads?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/dem ... nner-1/f0/

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/dem ... ner-02/f0/

it is definitely worth spending time improving vocabulary and basic maths skills such as times tables, quick addition/subtraction/division/multiplication.

estimation of quantities, length etc

for Kent where NVR is tested try the AE tuition books village dad,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... p?g=f&p=11

they take you through step by step and are great if you have plenty of time to spend on the subject.