Fear or burn-out? Help needed!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarymary

Fear or burn-out? Help needed!

Post by scarymary »

My DD has been having a weekly tutoring session in preparation for the 11+ for the last few months, doing VR and NVR. The tutor is lovely, makes the sessions fun and relaxed, and my DD loves going there. In the last few weeks I have also encouraged my DD to do some practice sessions at home - just a section or two at a time of Walsh VR.
My DD has been doing great and getting good scores, nearly always in the 90's. But we've hit a problem.
For the last two sessions at the tutor, (when the tutor has tried to do a timed test) and the last couple of times I have asked her to do stuff at home, my DD practically shuts down - she says she's really tired, and her tutor tells her not to worry. At home when I say we'll leave the practice for another time she goes off to her room and falls asleep!
I just need a bit of advice here - obviously she's had enough of it all and I need to give her a break from it. But for how long? The test is at the end of November. And is she like this through fear of the test or is it a kind of burn-out?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi scarymary,

In my limited experience this is a usual pattern. IIRC we had a good ten day break at back to school time in September before a November exam, as a parent watching the days tick by it was, well, kind of scary. :)

When we restarted work we did fun stuff, parts of papers that were easy, papers that had been done a long time ago and forgotten but seemed vaguely familiar so my son gained in confidence.

In short you have peaked, don't push to hard just try to gently bring the performance back to that peak for the test day. :shock:

steve
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Scarymary - my eldest two did tests mid-November and we did nothing during summer holidays. You've got loads of time until the end of November so I would give your daughter a few weeks off.

DS2 did mid-November tests and January tests. We did no practice whatsover after the mid-November tests and he did much better in the January tests after a 2 month break from practice. You know she can do it from her scores. She won't lose that ability in a couple of months, so why not just ease off and give her a break?
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

Thanks Stevew61 and Bexley Mum 2.
I think I have a plan of action now.
First I'm going to have a word with DD's tutor and cancel all sessions till October.
Second, I'm going to put any paperwork/practise papers out of sight till next month.
Third, I'm going to try and keep my mouth shut about anything to do with grammar schools for the next few weeks.
And last, I'm going to get DD out and about for more exercise. Actually started this tonight - I went for a 3 mile walk round some country lanes with her this evening, she had a hot bath when we got home and she's gone to bed weary but - I think - happy!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now