Milkman's Rounds and 'Z' type questions

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Terri

Milkman's Rounds and 'Z' type questions

Post by Terri »

I wondered if somebody might be able to explain to me how to approach the milkman on his rounds questions (where you can't travel along the same street twice).I can't really see how to make these clear to my son, other than to say ladders probably wont work out and circles and triangles probably will - Is there a knack I am missing ?
I am preparing my son for this November's Reading Boys exam and saw mention on the Berkshire forum of 'z' type questions in maths, I don't know what these are,could somebody explain this term ?

Thank you very much
Terri
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Always found those questions very hard. We did far to much maths prep. for Reading.

Can you post the question? Probably not as it is a road map. :)

Reading Maths exam over the last few years has not contained questions of that difficulty or if it did the boys have not reported it.

Have a look back at previous Reading format posts, the maths is not much beyond KS2.

The big test at Reading is three papers on one day, and the pain of not knowing if it is VR or NVR.

A couple of days ago I noticed on RBC website they have published the latest "Moving On Book" which says Reading has a small written exam, I think that is an error as both RBC admissions and Reading School say three papers all multi-choice. Somebody might want to seek clarification?

Good luck. :)

steve
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

http://nrich.maths.org/public/leg.php?c ... cmpid=2325

I think this might help. It comes under the topics of topology or networks.

Looks like you draw a network diagram and then resort to trial and error and improvement. :)

steve
fm

Post by fm »

My advice, as a tutor, for this sort of question is make a guess, ring the question (to remind yourself you have guessed), then, if you have any time at the end of the test, go back and try all the routes.

I think there are some questions which aren't worth the investment of much time or worry, and tactically this would be one.

Not only do I struggle with this type (and I have taught secondary school maths), I usually have 1 child in 15 who can ever manage it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi terri

z type questions are probably those questions that are categorised by IPS in their verbal reasoning method & technique course. There are about eight variations within the question sets with some being easier to work out than others. It would be worth practising a few examples.

The milkman round questions occur in the NFER Mathematics practice papers. Normally the questions are not too complex and a few of the answer options can be eliminated quickly giving the "guessing" method a better chance of success.

Regards

Mike

NB Z type questions are available as Type 15 questions in the Method & Technique course which is free to download from this website. There are also samples on the free demo for our Verbal Reasoning CD1
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I swear by diagrams for type 15/Z questions