Yr7,8,9 admissions DCGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
asdguest

Yr7,8,9 admissions DCGS

Post by asdguest »

I have heard on the grapevine that DCGS will now be setting a test for yr 7,8 and 9 admissions and that they will select top scorers not allocate via distance - has anyone else heard this?

Have they now got foundation status?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi asdguest

I had a PM about this yesterday, and a little bit of information during the summer as well, but haven't got around to posting it.

Most importantly (and before mass panic breaks out :lol: ) this system does not apply to Year 7.

The school has had Foundation status for a couple of years now, so it can set it's own admissions criteria beyond 11+, i.e. Years 8, 9 & 10.

There are a few vacancies in Year 9 at present - I heard that there are 4 places. Testing for those will happen quite soon, and places will indeed be allocated by score, not distance.

Candidates will be tested in Maths & English and must have at least 3 x Level 5 SATs to be considered for entry.

Sally-Anne
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Thank you Sally-Anne.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I can confirm this as regards Year 9 - DS has just started it and there are 2 vacancies in his class this term (not sure about whole year, sorry). The boys have been told these will be filled in due course following testing...

However, I'm not sure it is happening for Year 8 as we know of a boy who was successful in the 12+ who has already started this term in Year 8 having been given the place on the basis of distance. I know for a fact he has not taken additional tests.

One for you to investigate further, perhaps, Sally-Anne!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Rob

I suspect that the new Admissions policy comes into effect from the start of this term. Therefore the new Year 8 boy had passed the 12+ and was admitted under the old rules/testing procedure.

If any boys had passed the 13+ and expressed a preference for DCGS they would also have been admitted into Year 9 under the old system. However, there are very few 13+ candidates each year, and presumably there were none who passed and also wanted a place at DCGS this year.

S-A
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

does this new rule apply to out of county/catchment too? In other words do in catchment take priority or is everybody, in spite of where you live, on an equal footing?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Sally-Anne.

Incidentally, there was a paragraph about this in the Headmaster’s Letter which came home (slowly :lol: ) with DS last week.

Happy to either post that into thread or PM you with it if you’d like to see the exact wording.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Newgirl
newgirl wrote:does this new rule apply to out of county/catchment too? In other words do in catchment take priority or is everybody, in spite of where you live, on an equal footing?
Rob has kindly PMed me the text from the newsletter:
We currently have a small number of vacancies in Year 9 due to boys moving elsewhere in the country or into boarding education. Under our new Admissions Policy, late transfer admission into Years 8, 9 and 10 is now determined by test rank score order within our catchment area rather than by distance from the school. We will therefore be arranging a testing date as soon as possible for potential applicants for immediate admission into Year 9. The tests will be in Maths and English and candidates will have to demonstrate the achievement of at least three Level 5s in Key Stage 2 SATs (or equivalent). For an application form, please email your name and full address to Mrs Narcisi, ena at challoners.com
The answer is therefore catchment only.

Sally-Anne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Did anyone else notice that last week’s local paper was advertising for people to apply for places in Year 9 at DCGS?

DS’s class still only has 28 pupils.

Not a bad time to move there either, as it’s the first time they start setting and start work on the GCSE syllabus…
SN

Post by SN »

Hi! Rob,

Do you have to move into the area before you sit for the entrance test, or can you do so after you are offered a place?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now