"Speech"

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dissapointed mum

"Speech"

Post by dissapointed mum »

To Sally Anne or Etienne( or anybody else who can answer)
The "speech" that we present when putting forward our case, if we read it from our notes, should we provide the panel with photocopies of it, or is that not necessary? I feel I am too nervous to adlib, and I may forget something vital or stutter or something rediculous!
The other thing, as I put in another thread elsewhere, is it worrth mentioning that although my son has been placed in the "next 25% "category, there are only 40 children in year 6, and he is positioned 12th in the whole year, so narrowly misses out in the top 25% group. It is a high achieving academic school, so would this be relavent to mention.
Thanks for your help
DP
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear DP

It's fine to read from your script if you wish to. It doesn't matter whether you provide the panel with copies or not. (You could take copies with you, and ask them if they would like one before you start. It's certainly a good idea to offer one to the clerk to help with the notes.)

It's not clear to me where "12th" comes from. Are we talking about the rankings?
Etienne
Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Dear DP,

We have the same problem. Our son is rated 6th in suitability but because class is only 20 comes in the next 25%. The Head has pointed this out but it doesnt look so good does it?

Guest1
dissapointed mum

Post by dissapointed mum »

Dear Etienne
The 12th is where he is positioned in the school year at the moment. They have done tests etc for the end of the 1st terms report card, and he is positioned as 12th from his scores, so although that is quiete a high positioning, he falls into the next 25% category as the top 10 children qualify to be positioned in the top 25% of year 6. Sorry if Im rambling or waffling, I muddle trying to explain myself!
DP
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear DP

I just wanted to check whether "12th" refers to curriculum work. That's fine then. I assume you will have the report card with you as evidence, and that you can justify the statement that it's a high achieving school. If so, well worth mentioning. (Some headteachers would have done this for you.)

Guest1, the rankings are linked with the estimated VR score, whereas "top 25%" relates to the curriculum. They are different measurements. There are some schools, for example, that do very well indeed at SATs and yet have a well below average 11+ passrate.

Regards
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi DP

Read from bullet points, a verbatim script - anything you want to use. The panel will understand - your "presentation skills" are not on trial!

Good luck
Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now