A school calls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dad40

A school calls

Post by Dad40 »

School called us the other day to ask why my daughter was not in school - she had apparently not turned up for the first three days of term.

Wife says "But she is at school and she's really enjoying it.......She's just not at YOUR school which she left in July because she passed the 12+ and accepted a grammar school place."

Now, I could be wrong here but although we told the upper school informally, I would have thought that the admissions team would have done the formal bit by writing to the upper school after daughter's grammar school place was accepted last academic year. If nothing else, the admissions team surely knew there would be a spare place in Year 8 at the upper school and would have advised the school of the details (?)

Answers on a postcard......
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

you would think so.... but sometimes I despair at them being able to act on information given !!!!

We moved house and wrote to the school giving DD's new details. 3 terms later I got a call on my mobile to say a letter (of congratulations to DD) had been returned as "not at this address" and please could they have the new address.... joke was that they had managed to change half the details ie the road number but not the road name and certain digits of the phone number!!!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Same here - when we won our appeal we informed the local education authority which was handling our application, naturally assuming that they in turn would tell the local school where DD had been allocated a place, and which was itself oversubscribed. They failed to do this, causing no end of problems - DD had been put in a tutor group with a friend from her class who was now alone while all the other children in the class had been put in twos and threes in other groups. And of course this was all our fault...... :roll:
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

One has to wonder at the school as well - you told them informally, and yet they are still ringing up to find out where she is?

Didn't anyone notice her saying goodbye? :?

Not a lot of joined up thinking anywhere in this, is there?
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

S-A,

Well quite ! And presumably when the morning register was taken, several of the girls would have piped up that "she's gone to another school sir!"

I do however like Herman's experience which is way way beyond mine on the scale of bizarreness ! :shock: :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Didn't anyone notice her saying goodbye? :?

?
Quite - you would have thought someone would have known where she was ??? Form Teacher???
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Head of Year?
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Well we saw 'em all on a parents evening in the summer term. Most of the conversations contained at least one reference to it followed by the obligatory "well I'm sure she'll be fine at grammar school".

The Year 7 form teacher was very well aware.

:?

And does it all mean that Bucks didn't fill the place my daughter vacated? Or maybe they did but forgot to tell the upper school that a newbie was turning up. In fact, maybe there is a child stuck in the upper school office right now because the school doesn't know that he/she exists ! :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I have just seen this thread for the first time...

In July, just before schools broke up in the summer, I got a letter from our local LEA asking which school Ed was attending as they had no record of him being schooled.

Given that I had possibly kept him off for 3 whole terms, and that school absence can be a sign of child abuse, it does make me wonder how things can be left for SO long before being checked.

Mind you, we have tried so hard at the school I work at to get someone in to deal with school absences and we never get any further with it.
Rash

Post by Rash »

Guess what!!!!!!!!! I came back from work and hubby told me that he had a call from school asking why DD was not in. I looked at him in a funny way thinking but you dropped her off yourself!
I didn't know what to say to him he saw my face and quickly changed, OH, the call was from her old school. I suppose he didn't want to wind me up:-)

On her last day her teacher got a card the whole class signed it with some lovely messages.?????

When hubby told the lady the fact that she has moved school and we did inform the them. She then said, "would you mind me asking, where and why she decided to move" ( that bit was easy).

Rash
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now