Help - next step

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ttmum

Help - next step

Post by ttmum »

Unfortunately, we were one of those who was offered Bushey Hall and declined.
We were also a late applicant to Bushey Meads and eventually moved to No 1 position on a band, only to be told yesterday that they had offered a place to another child who had initially applied to BM and lived closer to the school.

Queens is the closest school to us, (1.1miles), and we have received non favourable news all the way, we started at position 4 on the distance list, then moved to position 6 (they said due to county reshuffling), and now in September we have been moved yet again to position 7.

The truth is we cannot afford to send her private. County has confirmed that all community schools in SW herts are full.

My DD is sitting at home and i just do not know what the next step should be.

Any suggestions? Thanks
greenteadrinker

Post by greenteadrinker »

Have you considered middle schools in Harrow/Pinner area...some of those children have left the mddle schools to attend secondary schools in Herts...might be a stop gap for a couple of years, but better than nothing!!
Always look on the bright side of life
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Have you thought about the 12plus? Chesham High sometimes have places in Y8 - I know that doesn't help you now but, if that was a possibility you could just maybe go to a school you don't want for a year and go to a better one in september (if she passed and if there was a place)?
tense

Re: Help - next step

Post by tense »

Goodness ttmum, I do feel for you.
ttmum wrote:County has confirmed that all community schools in SW herts are full.
Does this mean that Bushey Hall, Francis Coombe & Westfield etc are all full? :shock: I thought County were obliged to find your DD a place?

Do keep pushing with the CI lists - people do move - change of jobs / divorce etc.

T x
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

ttmum
How difficult for you.
Bushey Meads sounds hopeful but until you are offered a place goodness knows. I know of one family who used the Stanborough School in watford as termly was not as expensive as other independents until they were offered a place however I know their is a religious affilitiation with this school so you may not wish this.

Just out of interest what is County's position

Good Luck
Etienne

Re: Help - next step

Post by Etienne »

I thought County were obliged to find your DD a place?
The problem could be that a place was offered, but refused.

The Advisory Centre for Education can sometimes give free legal advice on the best way forward.
http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/about-ace/
They have a helpline - not sure if they will have any suggestions for this situation, but you've nothing to lose by asking.
Etienne
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

What are the nearest Herts schools that have spare places?
ttmum

Post by ttmum »

Thanks everyone. Your replies have placed a light in my heart.

County have confirmed that by law, they are obliged to place her in a school and are looking into this.

I am also now exploring Harrow schools and have requested an application form.

Thanks once again.
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

Hi there, don't know if you recall but we were also offered Bushey Hall, but accepted it while hoping something else would come up via the CI lists, Queens nearest school etc etc :roll: So i really do feel for you.

Sadly we got very close on the lists, but not close enough, so our DD has started at Bushey Academy and seems to have settled very well so far, with no problems. (Although it was quite tough for her at the bus stop seeing all the Bushey Meads and Queens children and her being the only one for Bushey Academy!)

However a friends DD also got offered BH which they refused, same as you Queens nearest school etc etc, and their daughter has also been at home watching all her friends start school.

They heard over the weekend that Townsend School in St Albans (which i believe is a C of E school) had several pupils who just didn't show up on the first day :roll: , made some enquiries on Monday, had a look round, their daughter liked it, and she started there yesterday :D

Obviously St Albans might be out of the question for you travel wise, and a C of E school might not be what you want, but i thought i'd post this seeing as you're prepared to look at Harrow schools, maybe the same distance the other way might not be a problem?

Good luck, i hope something positive happens for you soon.
watmum

Post by watmum »

I have heard some positive things about Townsend, quite a small school with a good ethos. It was quite a popular choice with Abbots Langley kids a few years back, but many were not successful when they put it as an option, due to the distance I suppose. In the same way Marllborough School in St Albans used to be a popular chpice but it does not get allocated these days to Abbots Kids, too far I suppose.

I do know a mum who takes her kids to Longdean in Hemel and speaks highly of it, have you tried there?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now