late testers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummog

late testers

Post by mummog »

Hi all

I have just called BHS to ask whether or not they would have places available for year 8 (with a view to my daughter attempting the 12+) and was told that, with some late testing currently going on, they are likely to fill up completely. Can anyone tell me the possible status of these late testers. Would they be pupils who have only just moved into the area but too late to sit the 11+?

Many thanks
Mummog x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mummog

The situation at BHS is rather curious. It is a Foundation School, which gives them the right to manage their own Admissions after the main round of formal testing administered by County at 11+.

However, at some point last year BHS handed back the late Admissions process to Bucks CC. I assume that was because the school had never been undersubcribed. Lo and behold! This year the school had vacant places.

I suspect therefore that these late testers may well be children whose parents heard about the vacancies and applied to the school. That could actually include children who did not pass the 11+.

RGS at Wycombe did exactly that a couple of years back when they had vacancies. Apparently they rang round a few local Heads and asked them to recommend children who they thought might still be GS material. The children then sat subject-based tests, rather than just VR.

If this is not the case - and I am only speculating on it - then they will be people who have moved into the area recently. It could also be a combination of both.

If any BHS parent (or anyone who is in the know) actually has the definitive answer, I would be intrigued to hear it what it is.

Sally-Anne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi Sally-Anne

Thanks for your reply. Oddly enough, a friend who taught at the High School at the time of the 11+ results being released advised me to ring the school to find out if there would be any opportunity of my DD being considered, despite the fact that she had not been successful in the 11+. This I duly did but was told that, no, they only accepted girls who had scored 121 or above. I will not be happy if others have been given a second chance which has not been offered to her. Like you I would love a reply from anyone in the know.

Mummog
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi,

I'm just posting really to move my query up the list again in the hope that someone can help me with an answer. Otherwise would it be OK for me to call the school to ask them whether,despite my call to them, I have missed out on a further opportunity for my daughter?

Many thanks
Mummog x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I suggest that you call the school to ask the question, because that is a very odd reply.

There are - theoretically - no girls left who scored 121 and wanted a place at BHS this year, because everyone who wanted a place was given one. So where are these girls coming from?

I would ask specifically if they are girls who have moved into County in the last 2-3 months. I would also ask what criteria they are using when deciding on who can sit the tests.

S-A