hockey gum shields

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kentish maid

hockey gum shields

Post by kentish maid »

Hi
DD needs a gum shield for hockey. The school recommended an opro shield.

We tried to fit it and have failed. In order for the shield to mould to the wearer's mouth, it has to be immersed in boiling water. Having followed the instructions and timings that came with it, we have encountered the problem that DD finds the shield too hot to put in her mouth. If we wait for it too cool sufficiently so that she can bear to stick it in , then its too cool to mould to her mouth shape. Tips anyone??
Freya

Post by Freya »

Immerse the gum shield in the boiling water for the specified time and then whip it out quick and dunk in cold water. The inside will still be pliable but the outside will be a bearable temperature.

You can remould a number of times so you haven't wasted a gum shield!

Make sure your DD bites down gently then puts her thumb into the roof of her mouth and sucks hard then get her to push on her upper lip to get a snug fit around the front teeth and to the sides.

Good luck!
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

DDs G1 ( sorry year 7) all had theirs done yesterday at Rugby by O-Pro. They said it was fun (!!!) and very quick, about 30mins for the whole 16. It was orange coloured and stained their mouths. They will be manufactured and returned in time for fixtures on 19 Sept but in the mean time they have temporary guards, the cost is £36 including one year's warranty. Seems very reasonable to me. :lol:
DD went off this morning staggering under the weight of a games holdall as big as herself on one shoulder and text books in a bag on the other, saying "Dad I can manage!!!"
:twisted:
chad

Post by chad »

Some of the cheaper shop bought gum shields can stiil be quite firm even when immersed in boiling water. If this is not the case then I agree with Freya...... it should work.
You should also be able to get a moulded gum shield from the dentist (mine took about 10 days to come back once the mould was taken...)
One Down

Post by One Down »

Hi Kentish Maid,
You're not alone - it took us 7 reheatings to get a decent fit with the same make!! However, with persevence it did work. All the time it didn't look like the one in the helpful 'I've ruined it' section of the DVD, we carried on. :) But most people seem to have had a few tries.
As for the heat factor, a few really good shakes to make sure there is no water left in it seemed to work quite well in cooling it down-good luck!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

We have found that dentist fitted gumshields are far more comfortable and last so much longer. - I'm sure there is another thread about this somewhere!?
katel

Post by katel »

Did someone say 36 quid for a gum shield?????????
SSM

Post by SSM »

What happens with the dentist fitted ones when kids lose baby teeth or their adult teeth are still growing?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd is going to have a brace fitted in about 6 months time. It's because of this he said not to have a dentist fitted one, but to go with the cheaper mould it yourself types because her teeth will change so much over the coming 18 months/two years.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

DS2 has had a brace for the last few months, if you google you can find orthodontic suppliers that supply loose fitting top and bottom mouth guards that work well with a brace.

OT Sadly his brace was measured and fitted by the lovely Dr Jose Souza who later went missing with the Air France flight from Brazil :cry: :cry: . One of those occasions when you stop and think that you really should appreciate and enjoy every day! :oops:

One advantage of a top and bottom guard is it does stop DS2 from chatting! :)

steve
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now