rickmansworth objection

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
person

rickmansworth objection

Post by person »

Does anyone know the details about the objection to Ricky (and County)admission rules that is mentioned on the Herts admissions website?
WP

Re: rickmansworth objection

Post by WP »

person wrote:Does anyone know the details about the objection to Ricky (and County) admission rules that is mentioned on the Herts admissions website?
No, where is it mentioned?
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

It's in the Rickmansworth School section of the Moving On booklet found here : http://www.hertsdirect.org/scholearn/ad ... chodirsec/

"Summary of Admissions Rules
As the time of going to print, the school is waiting
for a decision from the offi ce of the school’s
Adjudicator which may change the rules from
those published. Please check the school’s
website for updates."

Alison
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

it looks like rickmansworth have introduced a priority area and other area for the music and academic assessment tests (criteria 4 and 5). I guess this is to give "LOCAL" children more chance of these places. The objection could be about this change.

Alison
----

Thereafter, applicants will be placed in categories
as follows:
i) Those resident at the time application is required
in the area defi ned by postcodes beginning WD1,
WD2, WD3, WD4, WD5, HA6 2 and HA6 3.
ii) Other candidates.
Not less than 97% of pupils admitted under
criteria 4) and 5) shall be from category (i). The
remaining 3% (or less) to be admitted will be
category (ii) candidates. If there are insuffi cient
applicants from category (i) to reach 97%, the
number to be admitted will be made up with
category (ii) applicants.
WP

Post by WP »

AlisonR wrote:it looks like rickmansworth have introduced a priority area and other area for the music and academic assessment tests (criteria 4 and 5).
No, they're had that for as long as I can remember (probably since before WD1 and WD2 were subdivided). That priority area is pretty big.

As near as I can tell their arrangements are the same as last year.
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

It seems it's to do with distance, in that children living very close to the school are disadvantaged.

Apparently also, Rickmansworth have continued to apply their 10% distance rule so that siblings and academic places can fall into that criterion. I don't know whether that's part of the objection but it's probably relevant as far as the adjudicator is concerned given their reaction last year to the Watford Grammars applying it in that way.
winnie

Post by winnie »

I heard a rumour that Rickmansworth may get rid of their sibling rule. I do hope not, but does anyone have any news to share? If this is just a rumour then I apologise for causing concern!
WP

Post by WP »

winnie wrote:I heard a rumour that Rickmansworth may get rid of their sibling rule. I do hope not, but does anyone have any news to share? If this is just a rumour then I apologise for causing concern!
The school have not got rid of it. According to the Herts admissions book, the school are subject to an adjudication, which could potentially change their rules, but we don't know any more than that. Do you?
winnie

Post by winnie »

WP, no I don't have any information. I will post again if I have any news.
greenteadrinker

Post by greenteadrinker »

I suspect they will remove the clause that allows people who quaify for rule 2 and quaify under a different rule eg siblings or a place gained on a academic or a music place to take up a place under rule 2.
Always look on the bright side of life
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now