Advice please for low level preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scientificmama

Advice please for low level preparation

Post by scientificmama »

Hi

This is my first time posting so please bear with me.

I have 5 year old twin boys who have just entered year 1 of their state primary school.

They are progressing well and we are delighted with their performance as are the teachers.

I know that it is still very early, but we would like the boys to go to a grammar school based on their predilection towards academic subjects, especially maths.

The schools we are interested in are St. Olaves, Chislehurst & Sidcup, Bexley Grammar and Beths Grammar.

We do not want to push the boys too hard or overburden them because they are still very young. However, we would like to use this time judiciously to prepare them with respect to English, Maths and non-verbal reasoning.

My husband and I read to them every day, we do maths games and because we are both scientists, we explore simply scientific principles with them.

I would be grateful for advice on anything else we can do with them at this age without detracting from their love of learning or just being young playful boys. In particular, I welcome advice on how to prepare young minds for the concept of non-verbal reasoning.

TIA
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Other than what you are doing with your maths games and reading, simply play with your 5 year olds! :shock:

Please don't even think about the 11+ until they enter KS2, that's early enough.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I would say at this stage the best preparation is reading, reading and reading.

We are in a different region but have a similar challenge.

My DD was keen to compete with her two older brothers and so worked her way through a few Bond NVR books, completing books age 6-7, 7-8 and 8-9 in reception class at which point I decided to stop. :shock:

Now in year 3 she has nearly completed the first Susan Daughtey VR book as a series of photocopied puzzle sheets.

We will probably have a rest now until the Xmas holidays.

I am concentrating on DS2 in year 5, who lacks concentration so we do little (10-15 mins) and often.

If they are willing and able, and you can introduce it as a fun puzzle then give it a go. But if they don't like it put it away for a few months or you may put them off for life.

I will just go and put my body armour on and await the brick bats from the "they are too young brigade". :lol:

steve

PS with DS1 we did nothing till year five, because that suited him!
scientificmama

Post by scientificmama »

Thank you for the responses.

We do play with our boys btw and they spend most of their non-school time playing :o

The boys are very keen on practising their writing, reading and maths (no prompting from us) so we thought it would be a good way of preparing them for 11+ training in that context.

Any tips on NVR training or is it one of those things that you either get or don't?
shuff

Post by shuff »

I agree with Tracy above, please don't start thinking about 11+ at this age, life is just too short!
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

games like matching pairs etc are good, Mah Jong when they get a bit older. Non verbal reasoning is a pickingout patterns and what comes next in a sequence type thing.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I think the idea of Non Verbal Reasoning is that it is 'supposed' to be a test of natural skills, not years worth of practising. My DS has worked through a book of non verbal for the 12 months leading up to his test and believe me, you certainly do not need to do any preparation before this if your child is able.

Good luck but I agree....please don't worry about this yet!!! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now