end of Y5 maths levels?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

end of Y5 maths levels?

Post by Tolstoy »

Need some info on what other childen out there are doing.

DS2 got a level3 in his key stage 1 SATs.

He moved schools

He is v. good at maths and easily the top in his small class.

He doesn't get any extra provision i.e no G&T going on in this school.

At the begining of last year, Y5, we were told he was level 4a.
In his end of year mock SATs he came out with a 4a.

His teacher was impressed with this and showed suprise.
I was not, to me he has not progressed all year. I know he is very good at maths ( I used to teach).

What level should a bright child who is good at maths be getting in their Y5 mock SATs. He complained he was bored last year when working with Y6's but now he is Y6 he is having to work with the brighter Y5s so doubly bored!

I am arranging a meeting with the head for tomorrow and I need info on what sort of levels other bright children have obtained at the end of Y5 to prove the point that he should have got higher than a 4a by the end of last year.
colchestermummy

Post by colchestermummy »

hi there my son got a level 5 for maths at end of yr 5 hope that helps?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry you have got no replies. I'm afraid I can't answer you, but I am sure I have read other posts on this website where children have got L5s in Year 5 mock SATS.

What does the teacher reckon your son will get by end Year 6? This will give you at least some idea what the teacher's expectations are.

Is he now working with the best (as in what this teacher thinks is the best) of Year 6 or not? I was not sure from your post. If he isn't, maybe this is something you could ask the headteacher for as an outcome of your meeting, even if just for a trial period as he is clearly bored.

Have they given you the papers so that you can see the weak areas, what he got wrong, what he needs to work on to get to a higher level?

Good luck.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Hi, Tolstoy, my DS2 got a level 5 for his maths and although instinctively good at maths, he is not particularly good at school maths - a little wild with chunking and gridding and free and easy with his decimal places, and fed up with questions about people filling baths or buying apples. Where he is instinctive is in big multiplications, say, in his head, and in those VR questions type 18, (finding a third number). I think he's on the top of the middle table, certainly not top. Sounds like poor teaching to me. Good luck, tell us how you get on.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks Colchestermummy.

Mystery, he is the best at maths in Y6 there is only one other in the class who is anywhere near as good, it is the problem with small schools. He is in the top group but many of them are Y5's so he is repeating work he has already covered and well understood. This is why I need to know what children in other schools are getting to use as a comparism. Thanks for your reply anyway.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Grammar school standard is usually reckoned to be level 5 in May of year 6. (The official results don't go into sub-levels, but let's say a minimum of 5c.)

Normal progression is reckoned to be around two sub-levels a year, so, working backwards, that would give us a minimum of 4b in May of year 5.

It gives you a rough idea, although there might be a question mark over the reliability of some optional SATs results. It would certainly be interesting to have an explanation from the school for the rate of progression in year 5!
Etienne
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks Millas that is exactly the sort of info I need.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Hi Tolstoy, my DS got a level 5 B at the end of Year 5 ( small state primary school). He got a 4A at the end of Year 4. To be frank though we don't think that he was stretched in Year 5 . Maybe your DS just had a bad day when he sat the mock SATs? I think that the challenge in Year 6 though for both your DS and mine is that schools are really only motivated to get all children to 4B and anyone who is above this level at the beginning of Year 6 is likely to find themselves not stretched and bored whilst the school concentrates on the children who are struggling. Maybe I am being cynical......
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks Etienne, that two sub-levels bit is good ammo so to speak. I would have expected him to have had a level 5c at least by the end of the year.

I should have sorted it last year when he first started complaining but I was under the impression he was doing Y6 work and let it slide. He finishes his work really quickly and easily and is then sent to do SPMG which he is bored to tears with. Guest55 had told me about the PMC and I want him signed up to something like that.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

..not cynical I'm afraid Twinkle.

He wouldn't have had a bad day I know him he is good at tests and likes to do well. The teacher thought his mark great which smacks of a lack of expectation. Can they get a level 5 if they are not given the paper?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now