Voice of an Angel (ha ha ha)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Freya

Voice of an Angel (ha ha ha)

Post by Freya »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Had to laugh. Poor DS has a beautiful, clear and pure singing voice and much to his consternation was told yesterday "congratulations you have been chosen for the choir"! He is outraged that apparently there is no way out of this and said "it sucks!"

(* remember DS is a mad keen rugby player and sports scholar. Some boys would be delighted but not DS)

DH said that if they make him turn up on Sundays to sing at chapel then they can flippin' well give him a music (voice) scholarship as well. DS said that no way was he going to flippin' chapel on Sundays for Sundays are sacred unto rugby! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though I wonder - can they insist he joins choir?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Join the school and follow the rules! We are having the opposite trouble trying to get DS2 singing lessons at school so we are having to take him out at the weekend however if there is a match he has to be there regardless any commitments outside of school! :x

Tell your son that he will be the most popular Rugby player in Wales. The Welsh love their Rugby and their Male Voice Choirs. Gosh he really is the whole package! Image
hermanmunster

Re: Voice of an Angel (ha ha ha)

Post by hermanmunster »

Freya wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Had to laugh. Poor DS has a beautiful, clear and pure singing voice and much to his consternation was told yesterday "congratulations you have been chosen for the choir"! He is outraged that apparently there is no way out of this and said "it sucks!"

(* remember DS is a mad keen rugby player and sports scholar. Some boys would be delighted but not DS)

DH said that if they make him turn up on Sundays to sing at chapel then they can flippin' well give him a music (voice) scholarship as well. DS said that no way was he going to flippin' chapel on Sundays for Sundays are sacred unto rugby! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though I wonder - can they insist he joins choir?
Agreed the Welsh love a singing sportsman - can't thunk of much of a way out of this - other than a quick change of religion !! :wink:
Freya

Post by Freya »

TIPSY - What a shame about your DS2. Isn't singing his main talent / love? Can't believe he has to put a school match above this when he isn't particularly sporty? It's particularly unfair when the school can't provide for him in this area themselves. Oooh I think I would have something to say about that! :shock:

As for 'the whole package' well yes as his proud Mum I think he has it all but believe me he does have his weaknesses just like everyone else! :D

Herman - yes, he will have a great time singing on the coach on the way to matches and when he's older he can always do the X-Factor thing like Matt Stevens! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DS insists he is an atheist at the moment so couldn't really 'change' religion unless, I suppose, he went for 'Jedi Knight' :lol: :lol: :lol:

DS has been heard trying to make his lovely voice sound as if it is breaking! There has been lots of giggling in our house! :lol: :lol:
Thea

Post by Thea »

Freya - completely sympathise - but don't they have special treats for the choir? - at our schoo,l they get a day off school paintbaling in the summer and a trip to theme park in the winter as compensation for th extra hours they have to put in @ school, and teh other boys are VERY envious!
Best Regards,
Thea
Freya

Post by Freya »

Thea - that's great that your school recognises all the hours put in by the choir! I don't know whether DS's school do this but will find out. DS would absolutely love paint balling!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It's DS1 who isn't sporty. DS2 is sporty (not in the same league as your son) and yes I'm not happy about the musical arrangements - stupid me I just thought they would have been in place. You never really know the workings of a school until you send a child there and you certainly don't bargain on teachers having favourites - nuff said! :(
Freya

Post by Freya »

TIPSY - sorry for confusing your DSs. They have so many talents between them I forget who is good at what. :oops:

You are very right about not fully knowing the workings of a school until your child is there! Don't get me wrong - we are delighted with DS's school but nowhere did it say ". . . and if we choose your child for the choir he will have no choice in the matter" :shock:

Favourites :roll:
zorro

Post by zorro »

When DS started last Sept they all had to audition for the choir.I encouraged him as he was in the choir at primary and has a lovely strong voice. He passed the audition but they didn't HAVE to join if they didn't want to. I asked him why he didn't want to join and he told me ' they have to practice at lunchtime', I didn't really think that this was a good enough excuse so probed a bit more.He finally told me that only 'saddos' were in the choir and refused to change his mind.
One of his friends is a music scholar and they HAVE to join the choir , orchestra - everything musical. However they go on some excellent trips, they went to Paris in July for a week and sang in Notre Dame, they go to Germany and they also sing at one of the Oxford colleges( think it's Wadham).
I think it's a great opportunity.
But I suppose it can be a bit demanding especially if they have lots of sports fixtures/practices like your DS Freya.
Freya

Post by Freya »

But I suppose it can be a bit demanding especially if they have lots of sports fixtures/practices like your DS Freya.
That's what I'm worried about!

Trips sound great though!

DS is still trying to make his voice sound as if it's breaking! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now