Required scores for Maidstone

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Armand Tanzarian

Required scores for Maidstone

Post by Armand Tanzarian »

Hello all,

The question "what is the pass mark?" appears to be broadly equivalent to "how long is a piece of string?" However, that won't stop me asking!

My daughter (birthday October) has been doing the practice tests for a while now and tends to get around 75 to 85%. (She'd get more if she didn't make "silly" mistakes generally caused by lack of attention rather than lack of understanding).

Anyway, we live in Maidstone which has four Grammar Schools (2 Girls, 2 boys). In the experience of you all, is she likely to get into either school on the basis of that performance? We live about a mile from each.

Having spoken to a few people, it seems that if I so much as express an interest in her taking the 11+, the better secondary schools in the area won't even consider her for entry. We are therefore in the position whereby if she doesn't pass, she will automatically be sent to whatever school has places, in other words the school that no one else wants to go to.

All advice gratefully received!
sleepless

Post by sleepless »

Sorry, not in your area. Is your daughter taking the 11+ in November this year or, otherwise, when is her date. I would expect that with the scores you mention, if she is taking her exam this year, she may be very borderline. To you you an example, one of my children scored approx 80% over all papers (not all VR in our area) and the position attained, out of over 4,000 was between 600 and 800 (not wanting to give too much away). Child had been well prepared, was very bright and reading since 3 years old but every area is different.
Armand Tanzarian

Post by Armand Tanzarian »

She takes the exam in January so there is still time to practice. She does seem to be improving.

We attended a meeting last night at the school and the headmistress said she will provide all relevant test scores that she has.

Fortunately all schools in Maidstone are EP. That means that the three schools you list on your preference form are not informed of your other two choices. As such we'll put the two grammars at one and two and the best high school as three. Since the high school is not informed of the other choices or even if she has sat the 11 plus, with a bit of luck, she'll get in there.
sleepless

Post by sleepless »

It all sounds very positive re school choices and your daughter sounds as though she has at least a chance of passing, quite possibly even a good chance.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
pcn

preference of schools

Post by pcn »

Armand Tanzarian wrote:She takes the exam in January so there is still time to practice. She does seem to be improving.

We attended a meeting last night at the school and the headmistress said she will provide all relevant test scores that she has.

Fortunately all schools in Maidstone are EP. That means that the three schools you list on your preference form are not informed of your other two choices. As such we'll put the two grammars at one and two and the best high school as three. Since the high school is not informed of the other choices or even if she has sat the 11 plus, with a bit of luck, she'll get in there.
Surely it would be better to put the grammar schools as 3rd/4th choice with other schools 1st/2nd so that if child doesn't get required passmark you will hopefully get a place at the secondary of your choice and you won't have missed .a place
pcn

post subject

Post by pcn »

Further to my last, looking on another site I think this may be different if you are in a G.S catchment area, I'm not, it may be different here as the G.Ss here don't have a ctachment area.. Hope I haven't misled you

Post by Guest »

Current practise (2006 aplication for 2007 entry) is this:
You get 3 choices.
None of the schools on your list know where you have placed them in preference order, or, in the case of a Secondary, if your child has taken the 11+.
You must still put your preferred school as first choice, however, as the LEA ultimately will endeavor to offer your child a place in the highest placed preference that they qualify for.

For example, you put X Secondary ( as you are within its catchment area)as 1st choice on the CAF, Y Grammar as 2nd choice and Z Grammar as 3rd.
Your child passess the 11+.
Your child is now eligible for all three schools.
On the 1st of March Kent LEA will offer you only one place- and in this case your child would be offered a place at X Secondary, and not the Grammar schools, because you placed that at the top of your preference list.
If you'd put Y Grammar first- that's the school you'd be offered as your child is eligible.

Obviously there are things like oversubscription and appeals to consider- but basically, that's how it works this year!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now