rewards for taking/passing 11+?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

Any ideas for what to buy (or not?) for DS who had a troubling time during the practise but really worked hard with us for the last few days b4 the real tests and seems confident he did OK? Should we wait for the results as we did with DD 3 years ago? :?:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it is better to get a little treat after the exam .. it separates it from the results and makes it clear that it is the effort and work that counts. Dependong on what you did for DD, it may be appropriate to do something like all of you going out for a meal - other kids included to show that you appreciate their support
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

thanks Hermanmunster, that's a lovely idea. Think we had DD's ears pierced when we heard she had passed then went to a musical in London (which she loved), just the 2 of us (which I loved) as DH and DS not into that sort of thing. When I asked him what he would like DS mentioned new Scalextric car but as we are drowning in slot cars (into triple figures, easily, at last count) did not want to contemplate any more. Have heard some parents offering cash rewards (so much per mark etc...) but could prove expensive for us or, much worse, very little reward for him if target not exceeded.
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Last year my 2nd child took 11+ I took her for lunch and the cinema after the exam because whatever the outcome I knew she had tried her best. Sadly she didnt pass but we got through on appeal. Older daughter got a phone when she passed, which she was very happy with. We bought our 2nd daughter a phone for her birthday during the summer hols so at least she had a phone for the start of sec school. It is not always easy to treat your children equally for lots of different reasons - usually economic - and as we all know this can change at any time!
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I gave 1st ds present after passing.
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

We are planning pressies for sitting the exam but thet do not know - we have said they may get something if they pass! I think it is the effort of your own child that you are rewarding - not the performance compared to all the others!
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

Treating them equally is so hard (not least when one is male and one female!) but also because DD was expected to pass and DS is much more unpredictable. Have decided to treat all to a meal (as per Hermanmunster's suggestion) and something extra if he passes. Glad there are no more DC to worry about. I couldn't go through the last 2 weeks again, haven't done any house work or any real work (luckily self employed so no boss to appease!)
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

honscupboard wrote:We are planning pressies for sitting the exam but thet do not know - we have said they may get something if they pass! I think it is the effort of your own child that you are rewarding - not the performance compared to all the others!
My son was promised a mobile if he passes but he will get it whatever the result (although he doesn't know this) to reward him for the effort he put in.
polly0494

Post by polly0494 »

I was given some advice regarding this by my dd's tutor and plan to do the same.

Rather than buy a present for 'passing' due to the double whammy dd would face if she didn't pass, i.e hasn't passed but also doesnlt get a present, whenever she does some practice or does particularly well on a practice paper, I put money aside in an envelope. The amount can be down to choice but 50p, £1 or £2 is what I tend to do. I will then give her the money in an envelope after the exam finishes and she can spend it on whatever she wants. That way I feel like I am rewarding the effort and she knows the more effort she puts in, the more she will 'earn'.
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

great idea Polly0494, - alas too late for us Kent test parents. Wish I had a £1 for every minute I have worried about the whole process!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now