percentages on practice papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MChelt

Post by MChelt »

Please could someone help me get an idea of the percentage you need to get on an NFER (now GL assess) paper to be in with a chance of Tommies, Denmark, Crypt and Ribstone ? Thanks
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Welcome to the forum MChelt!

I suppose this is the million dollar question! I always think that scores that kids are getting on practice papers can give a rough idea-but what happens on the day can be a different matter.

Going on personal experince-my DS was regularly scoring 85-90% at home,however on the day he rather went to pieces and scraped into Crypt by the skin of his teeth! It depends on how your child copes with the pressure of the actual test day,but I would say that you need to be looking at around 75% or more.

All the schools standardise their scores differently,so most years you would need a lower score to "pass" for Crypt and Ribston than you would for High School for Girls and Tommies.Pates is another matter....

have a look at the "sticky" on the Glos part of the site for useful information posted by parents who have been through the 11+ experince.

Good luck!

Gloucestermum
mum3

Post by mum3 »

My 3 (1 Glos grammar, 2 Pates) were all scoring 85%+ on the practice papers, working up to 90%+ for the ones who got into Pates. However, I am sure they scored less on the actual day!

I would aim for 85% + really to be in with a chance. Hope this helps. Am being honest, because that's the info I wanted when I was going through this. Don't panic if your child does not get these scores at first try though, you need to work up to the highest score. I think mine were scoring 60 - 70% to very start with. I just practised with them at home. No professional tutoring or anything. Good luck :D
spottycat

Percentage on practice papers

Post by spottycat »

:) My two eldest, both @ Grammars scored over 90% on all the NFER papers. My youngest, @ a Comp. was also scoring over 90% in all the practice papers but didn't do at all well in the exam and didn't pass. I've also known some children who after getting quite low scores in the practice papers have risen to the occasion and done really well on the day and passed. I think the main thing is for the child to try and banish all anxiety about the whole process and go in there and give it their best shot. The teachers invigilating are always very kind and try to make the children feel relaxed and as happy as possible. I think my number 3 DC's brain just came to a complete standstill on the day!!! The school DC 3 is at now is really excellent so it all turned out for the best.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think it depends on how you test them and what preparation you have done previously. I gave my eldest a run of trail tests for 9 weeks leading up to the exam. We had done some prep work before hand but not a lot. They were strictly timed and strictly marked and the order I gave them is deemed to be that of easiet to hardest by many experienced posters on this site.

I have recorded them as I am using them for comparism for DS2 who is sitting the test this year. The scores are all percentage scores. You might find them useful.

The only time I repeated a paper was on the Saturday before the test and I had him redo the very first GL paper he sat. He had not done any long papers before this time.

His scores :-
Week 1 GLA 63.........SD 1 75 ...Combined 68%
Week 2 GLB 68.........SD 2 62 ...Combined 65%
Week 3 GLC 71........SD 3 76 ...Combined 73%
Week 4 GLD 85........SD 4 53 ...Combined 69%
Week 5 SD5 81..........SD 6 68 ...Combined 74%
Week 6 SD7 75..........SD 8 84 ...Combined 79%

Week 7 Walsh 1 66 Walsh 2 75 ...Combined 70%
8 Walsh 3 75 Walsh 4 76 ...Combined 76%

sat before test =

GL A 81% Walsh 5 76% ...Combined 79%

Sd are the Susan Daughtry multiple choice ones.

One of the reasons I am posting them is because my DS never managed to get a score higher than 85%. His combined scores never reached over 80%. He sat the test last November.

His Pates score was 237 i.e he only just failed to get into their top 160 and he is a September born child so standardisation will take off marks.

His Tommies marks were

paper 1 116 paper 2 117

I had been in a right old panic because he desperately wanted to go to Tommies and I was under the impression that he should have been scoring higher to get a place. Thankfully I was wrong :) .
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Orson who used to post on this section gave these guides.

For Crypt they need to be scoring between 72-78%
For Tommies..........................................78- 85%
For Pates ...............................................above 85%

I believe he is pretty experienced and I trusted his judgement last year.

I therefore don't agree that you need to be getting in the mid 80%'s upwards for most of the Grammars but only for Pates and a safe Tommies/DR place.

I have come back on this one because I feel it is important that people are not panicked into thinking their children should be scoring more than is necessary. It is what happened to me last year and it did cause me and my DS1 a lot of unnecessary stress. My son's results bare this out. I don't think it was a case of exceeding normal expectation rather he performed on the day in just the same way as he had for the preceeding weeks.

I do agree though that some children are not suited to the exam enviroment and will fail to perform on the day. I also wonder if children who have been heavily tutored also fail to do as well on the day as they have in practice tests.
MChelt

Post by MChelt »

Thank you all for this information, it has really helped ! :)
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Tolstoy wrote: I have come back on this one because I feel it is important that people are not panicked into thinking their children should be scoring more than is necessary. It is what happened to me last year and it did cause me and my DS1 a lot of unnecessary stress.
I'm going to drill this into my head as a sort of mantra!! Thanks, Tolstoy, it's so easy to scare yourself, in a sort of almost masochistic self-punishing way. Maybe it's the body preparing for dealing with failure by contemplating it so in advance. And it not being you, but them taking the test!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now