Bond vs Schofiled & Sims

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Villagedad

Bond vs Schofiled & Sims

Post by Villagedad »

Hi

We want to do so light maths practice with our 7 yr old son, who has just started KS2, to ensure he stays up to speed with his maths, and wondered if anyone has any opinion with regards to which workbooks are more effective and more fun to do out of Bond and Schofiled & Sims...?

Appreciate your views

Villagedad
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

The Schofield Mental Maths series of books are in my experience commonly used in school from Year 3 onwards so you might want to check with your son's school whether they are going to use them before you buy them.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

What is S & S? Without me realising it, my dd might have been doing these worksheets at the tutor's. Although I was told the name, I have forgotten it. We know them as the a,b,c sheets and the worksheet is divided into 3 sections and there's loads of hard questions on them.
Is this what you are referring to?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Tracy wrote:What is S & S? Without me realising it, my dd might have been doing these worksheets at the tutor's. Although I was told the name, I have forgotten it. We know them as the a,b,c sheets and the worksheet is divided into 3 sections and there's loads of hard questions on them.
Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/prodp ... ?prodid=15
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

They are definitely the series that my DC have used in our ( state) school - they are in fact sent home for homework. No really challenging problems for the child who is good at Maths but I think that they are good for instilling the basics.I haven't done Bond for aged 7 so can't compare.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'd go more for enrichment, lots of games which involve adding etc. How about yahtzee?

or card games
essex-mum18

Re: Bond vs Schofiled & Sims

Post by essex-mum18 »

We want to do so light maths practice with our 7 yr old son, who has just started KS2, to ensure he stays up to speed with his maths, and wondered if anyone has any opinion with regards to which workbooks are more effective and more fun to do out of Bond and Schofiled & Sims...?

Appreciate your views

Villagedad[/quote]

Hi, Villagedad

My son used both books and as I remember correctly (Few years back now), He preferred the Bond book. I think the Schofiled is good at developing the basic skills first , then doing more complex ones at the end. I tended to test my son's basic skills first, then took some challenging questions from both books for him to tackle afterwards.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

get him to do some word problems, in my experience this is a weak area for children. The skill is to pick out from the long winded question the actual information needed.

you know the sort of thing. John cycles 2 miles to school each day on his red bike, Jane uses the number 32 bus which goes via the station and so travels 1 mile further who has teh longer journey?

I get the children to underline or highlight the parts which are relevant to the calculation
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

OMG, those are the ones!
My dd hated them. Every week her tutor gave her one of these, the content is hard - yr5/yr6 books.
She only ever did one section at a time.
A year down the line, my dd's maths levels have shot up and she doesn't mind doing them, she flies through them.

DD has now finished with the tutor and she said a fond farewell to the a,b,c sheets. She collected her first maths homework from her new yr6 teacher and guess what - more a,b,c sheets! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Villagedad

Re: Bond vs Schofiled & Sims

Post by Villagedad »

essex-mum18 wrote:My son used both books and as I remember correctly (Few years back now), He preferred the Bond book. I think the Schofiled is good at developing the basic skills first , then doing more complex ones at the end. I tended to test my son's basic skills first, then took some challenging questions from both books for him to tackle afterwards.
Thanks essex-mum18
Any particular reason your DS preffered the Bond ones..?

Regards
Villagedad
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now