New code of admissions - PANIC !!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

New code of admissions - PANIC !!!!

Post by Guest »

I found this on the New Code of Admissions which the government wants to come into effect on the 28th of February 2007:

Information for parents – outcome of entry tests
2.92 Grammar schools and other schools, or their admission authorities, which are permitted to use selection by ability or aptitude, should ensure that parents are informed of the outcome of entry tests before they make their applications for other schools.

Does this mean they will be sitting them in September? How long does NFER need to mark and send back?
What about HBS where the children sit written exams in maths and English? I am truly panicking for my Year 5 daughter. I haven't started her on this treacherous process yet as my Year 6 daughter is sitting HBS on Thursday.
I need a drink.

Post by Guest »

I understand from the Herts letter the tests could be as early as July.
pl

Post by pl »

The sramble for places may well be worse for the current year 5. If the partially selective schools in Herts (there are quite a few) and MHC reduce or remove their test intake in order to accommodate local children then the numbers of children applying to the fully selective schools will increase.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Aren't Linclonshire already doing this?

It will make a huge difference in a lot of areas where out of catchment kids don't risk putting the grammar school down on the list as they may miss out on a local school place in their county.
We are in Skipton and I can imagine an increase in people from Ilkley and East Lancs taking the exam as lots already do

Post by Guest »

Doesn't taking the exam early mean that you don't put any school on a list until you know the results... like when I was a kid.
At least this way, if you don't pass any grammer school entrance exams you can put the best comprehensive at the top of the list and therefore have some hope of getting in etc...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Anonymous wrote:Doesn't taking the exam early mean that you don't put any school on a list until you know the results... like when I was a kid.
At least this way, if you don't pass any grammer school entrance exams you can put the best comprehensive at the top of the list and therefore have some hope of getting in etc...
Hi

yes that's right and if you are in the situation of wanting to go to a grammar school but keep the option of the comprehensive if you don't get in then it works well for you. However it will increase the competition ++ for out of catchment places (back to sibs having problems getting in) and kids living just outside the area will have to get much higher scores than they did last year etc.
Also (and this is not my opinion - just the view of some) - that parents should get equal bites of the cherry - ie if they want grammar school they should go for that and not have a second chance going for the comprehensive when there are parents who have decided they ONLY want non selective education who may find it more difficult to get a place at the comp now as more people whould be putting it first. Goes against CHOICE somewhat....
Actually the 2 bites happens +++ in some places as many parents are happy to let kids "have a go" at the 11 plus knowing that they will be able to get into a faith school.

Post by Guest »

I agree. I am in Herts, as someone mentioned earlier we have a number of partially selective schools which may have to reduce or stop selection as a result of the admissions code. If this happens the competition for places in the nearby fully selective schools is going to soar.

New code: siblings rule abolished??

Post by Guest »

Looking at the Wirral consultation paper re this new code, (it came up when I google New Schools admission code 2007) it also seems to say that giving priority to a child on the basis of a sibling at a grammar school will be unlawful as this will be part of the statutory section of the new code.

It mentioned that tests may need to be given at the end of Year 5 or beginning of year 6 to comply with the voluntary part of the code re giving parents results of tests before applying for other schools.

This should apply to Sept 2008 admissions onwards, but Wirral seems to think that it could not get all the changes in place until the Sept 2009 admission as the final admissions code won't be available until Feb 2007.

I feel sorry for the authorities as well as us parents keeping up with the Governments latest whims!

Post by Guest »

Reading it again, I think the change sibling rule only applies to Grammars which admit pupils in order of performance in the test, so siblings wouldn't be able to take priority over a child with a higher score.
Louise

Post by Louise »

At last the government has come up with something sensible in education. Of course grammar test results should be given before applying anywhere else. I am waiting for grammar school results on 1st March but in actual fact I would prefer the second choice non-grammar I put on my preference form. We had to put the grammar as our first choice otherwise we weren't eligible to take the exam. If she passes the exam then we won't be offered our second choice even though that is the school we actually want. Another good point the new admissions code says is it will be illegal for schools to say they are first choice only. All schools will have to be equal preference. Hooray!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now