Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
red raver

Bexley Grammar

Post by red raver »

Hi can anyone let me have their opinion of Bexley Grammar school? :D
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Absolutely fanfastic school. My eldest daughter is there. Happy to answer any questions.
Mum of 3!

Post by Mum of 3! »

I have a son at Bexley Grammar in year 8 and another joining this September. I think it is an excellent school in many respects. It recognises achievement and we have had letters home and "achievement postcards" telling us of specific achievements in school. There are many extra curricular opportunities in a variety of areas. My son is loving the music and all the different bands on offer, as well as the drama productions that go on at least twice a year.

We have found the year head very approachable and helpful with any concerns we have had.

A very positive experience so far, and I believe they are not being complacent in any way and always seem to be stretching the school in other ways to continue to improve and grow.

Just my opinion. Why are you asking?
red raver

Post by red raver »

Thank you so much for your replies,I have a son starting in september and although it is not our nearest school. I was very impressed. I am a little worried that he will a little out of his depth as he just passed his 11+ although he is one of the youngest in the class. :)
sally40

red raver

Post by sally40 »

My son also starting in september and we also were impressed and he chose this over beths where other friends are going, he is the only one going from his school so i also have concerns but im sure he will be fine. What area are you from and is your son the only one?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

My yr 8 daughter was the only girl to go to BGS from her school although she knew a couple of the boys. She was apprehensive but very quickly settled in and made new friends.

There is not too much homework. Some is set but most of it is revising the lesson or learning vocab for languages. The school makes a point of letting the kids have a life in the lower school instead of being snowed under with homework.
red raver

Post by red raver »

Hello,once again thanks for your positive replies, yes my son is the only one starting at BGS. We are within walking distance of Chis and Sid so most of his friends are going there. We are in the Sidcup area :)
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

This school at the moment without even seeing it is my preference if he is selected. I have heard such good things and little negatives. I'm really looking forward to the open day.
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Hi Bex mum of 2,

BGS is a lovely school - it's not just about academic achievement, they really care about the children and what's best for them.
sally40

Post by sally40 »

my ds has just started bgs and his gut feeling about this school has been correct he absolutely loves it and has made lots of new friends. He seems to have become independant over night, and quite happy to get on with his homework, we dont seem to have the moans and groans about it like we did in primary school, he knows its got to be done and gets on with it, please let this last!
We had parents evening on tuesday night just to make sure ds had settled and found his teacher very approachable as was the head so over all we have been very pleased with ds choice.