moving house/restating preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

moving house/restating preferences

Post by Guest »

OK a bit of an obscure question
We live out side the catchment area for our grammar school (ripon)So on our LEA common entrance form we listed the very good local comp as our first choice and the Grammar school was I think 3rd choice.
We have had already had the 11+ results (DS passed ) and we are moving house into the catchment.The LEA say we can fill in a new common admissions form changing our choicesand we would of course want to put Grammar school first.
BUT I do remember them saying before the 11+ was even taken that by law parents had to express preferences before the 11+ results were issued.
Anybody know the answer to this apparently conflicting information ?

Post by Guest »

Hi,
It says in the North Yorks LEA admissons booklet that only in exceptional circumstances you are allowed to apply to change you're preference after the common application form deadline.

As you have now moved into the catchment area, and you're son reached the cut off mark. This most probably is classed as exceptional circumstances, and allows you to amend you're preferences etc.

Good luck to you, as he will now have a greater chance of receiving an offer for a place on 1st March next year.

My daughter just passed for SGHS(Skipton Girls), but we live over the border in lancashire, so I'm fingers, toes and the like firmly crossed until March lol!

What an emotional rollercoater ride !!!!!

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

well done to your little girl footymad !!

Post by Guest »

Thanks, :D
I'm still floating about on cloud nine!! haven't cracked the champers open yet, don't want to tempt fate. :?

Does anyone know about this years class sixes being very small(low birthrate year in england??) :shock:

Surely that should increase you're chances for children that have passed that are out of the catchment area?? :wink:

Can anybody shed any light on this matter??

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

Hmm I don't know why there would be a low birthrate l.What happened in 1994 that stopped people procreating I wonder :evil:

Certainly the Ripon catchment had far fewer pupils than last year and you are right that does favour out of catchment children.
Footymad

Guest did you're child get Ripon Grammar?

Post by Footymad »

Hi Guest,
If you're about did you're child get Ripon Grammar?

Footymad.
HP

Post by HP »

Your post prompted me to read this again too Footymad.

Hope we do hear from the Guest who moved house

In the meantime think I can answer this one...
Anonymous wrote:Hmm I don't know why there would be a low birthrate l.What happened in 1994 that stopped people procreating I wonder :evil:

Certainly the Ripon catchment had far fewer pupils than last year and you are right that does favour out of catchment children.
...think back to 1993/94 it was the time of the last propery recession, rock bottom property prices and loads of re-posessions from the overlending of the 80's. Not the best time to start to or add to a family.

HP
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Seems like the last two posts were off the mark.

Good luck to your son at Ermysteds Grammar. :)

Footymad :wink:

Only 9 days to go!