Does going to a 'named' School give you an advantage.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SteveDH

Does going to a 'named' School give you an advantage.

Post by SteveDH »

Just curious.

In this day and age, assuming you leave school with the same set of exam marks, Does going to somewhere like say Eaton, Harrow, Westminster or whatever give you an advantage in University/Job applications.

what do people think?

Steve
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think going to one of these schools offers advantages and disadvantages. In general, British society is anti-elitist and even saying the name Eton creates many negative, if uninformed, reactions and views. An expectation is made on OE that they should succeed in everything and if they ever come across as arrogant or unfriendly OE it is because they went to Eton and not merely because that is their personality. :roll: On the whole, Etonians are affable and friendly as they are aware that aquaintances can be defensive because of their schooling and they wish to dispell and myth. However in countries such as America and China, for example, being an Etonian or Harrovian is very well thought off and sought after. For those who have no negative bias towards the school it does have an advantage in this country too because they can see the benefits of employing someone who had such an education.

If you want to get DC into Oxbridge or Ivy League then Westminster is the school to go to as it sends about 60% of its cohort there every year. I have often wondered if Oxbridge looks better on your CV or Eton. I think that on the whole Oxbridge looks better if you have gone to any other school but I know very few OE's who have not had an interview because for some reason everyone wants to meet one! :lol: I know plenty of people who have Oxbridge on their CV who have not had interviews.

Dependent on the employers some public schools are known for being "thick and rich", "parrochial and feudal" and "too hippy" although none that you have mentioned fit into this category. :lol: In the City though, Harrovians have a reputation for being arrogant and scheming but again that may be because of their personality and not the fact that they went to Harrow. Unfortunately, my experience of Harrow boys has been a negative one.
zee

Post by zee »

When it comes to potential employers and how they view Oxbridge and top public schools, it depends very much on the sort of employer. If you want to enter the city or high-flying legal practice, accountants or management consultancy, it can still be an advantage. If you want to be a social worker, it's likely to be a disadvantage - but there's a huge realm in between where... who knows?

I guess the "solution" is to be sure of one's motives (not suggesting anyone here isn't). Picking such places for perceived prestige could backfire, but if they have specific advantages for you/DC that don't apply elsewhere, then you still have the benefits of those, even if some people in future can't see past that.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Zee makes very valid points. For a while I have been very tempted to move back to Scotland and I had a look at some of the senior school websites up there. Although they are excellent I started to realise that I had chosen a school for my son based on what it could offer. Not presitge, but it has every facility/subject/sport you could ever want and the number of high-profile figures who give talks at the school is immense. The Scottish schools I was looking at only had a limited amount of A'level subjects on offer. My son may never use any of these facilities but at least they are available if he wants to. Why pay the same fees for a school that offers less, unless you prefer the location or ethos?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

but rather for the lifelong uplift to the spirit which occurs when one has been part of such a foundation great, beautiful and capable of enduring.
Are you in a romantic mood today LLL? :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now