RANKING CHILDREN

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Morning Glory

RANKING CHILDREN

Post by Morning Glory »

Just read in one of the other posts about Headteachers ranking children for the 11+. I have heard that they do this but can someone explain why?

Thanks
D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It can be useful for an appeal panel to see how a headteacher rates candidates irrespective of the 11+ scores. If headteachers are asked for their opinion before the 11+ results are published, it ensures that they are not influenced by the actual result.

"Ranking" children in the sense of putting them 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. (the "order of suitability") was abolished last year, and candidates were simply given a recommendation for academic potential, and a grade for attitude to work.

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#e9
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Morning Glory

I need to type faster - I had prepared a nice long reply for you, but Etienne got in before me! :lol:

S-A
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

That's very interesting.

I had to see the SENCO & my sons teacher on Friday and had been asked by the Secondary School I was going to see what his predicted SATS were. The head came in and gave me these and I also asked was he a definite, probable etc for the 11+ she said she wasn't prepared to say as my son is such a complex case.

Wonder what she is going to put down for him????
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

She genuinely may not have decided yet - headteachers have until 6th November to submit their recommendations.

If you happen to finish up in an appeal situation, all will be revealed!
Etienne
patricia

Post by patricia »

I am the one causing the confusion. :oops:

I should not be using the word Ranking. Its the Headteachers Recommendations that I should be quoting.

Patricia
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

"Ranking" children in the sense of putting them 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. (the "order of suitability") was abolished last year,

In theory, Etienne, although as you may remember from our case last year some HTs are still doing this, whether contradictory to the guidelines or not.

Our appeal panel picked up on this and I have no doubt whatsoever that it hurt our case.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Rob

Last year was the first year of the new system, and there were bound to be some problems.

We can only hope that this year the message will have sunk in.

S-A
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The system whereby heads were asked to fill in a form ranking candidates in order was definitely abolished.

Rob's point is about a headteacher's comment in a report written for the appeal panel. Independent schools have often done this sort of thing (e.g."This candidate is top of a group of exceptionally able children").

Where the comment disadvantages the child, I can understand Rob's concern that it goes against the spirit of 'no order of suitability'. I'm not sure that it would count as a breach of procedure - the only way to test this is to complain to the LA or go to the ombudsman.
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Rob's point is about a headteacher's comment in a report written for the appeal panel
Yes, sorry, Etienne, thanks for the clarification.
I'm not sure that it would count as a breach of procedure
Clearly not, unfortunately.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now