And now we wait..............

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mummyto3

And now we wait..............

Post by Mummyto3 »

Well, my DS had his last interview today after passing the exams for Whitgift/Trinity. Have to say they were really positive and both advised that we shoul be confident of receiving offers from them, but................as I am a Neurotic mother :shock: I will not be confident until I receive a yay or nay.

We were told that we would be seeing the Headmaster at Whitgift but instead saw Mr Beck, he was really nice. Does this mean that my DS is not in line for a scholarship?? Hey Ho, just wait for the letters to be posted on Friday 19..........

Once again, thanks to Surreymum and all the other posters for offering brilliant advice. And well done to all the boys who passed the Wilsons exam :D
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Well done it sounds like good news.

As far as I know everybody sees Mr. Beck-boys first and then parents. You then all go on together to have an interview with someone from senior management-we have had headmaster, chaplain and I think head of history.

Not sure about the scholarships-large one for ds interviewed by headmaster, teeny one from chaplain and none from head of history :lol:

Whatever the result sounds like you need to start saving if you have 3 kids altogether!
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Surreymum - I know!!! Other DS is in year 3, he is a bit of a tennis pro and not so strong academically as his brother and my DD is under a year so have a while to go yet!!!

Must admit, you have made me even more neurotic (if that is possible :shock: ) re: interview. We saw two teachers who raved about DS test results and sporting abilities, we then saw Mr Beck, again very positive, and then went home. Did not see anyone from 'senior management'. We were told to be confident of receiving an offer, but do they just say that to put you at ease??!! :roll:
melinda

Post by melinda »

No, I am sure they would not say that "just to put you at your ease". Sounds all good. Last year we saw Mr Beck - a really nice, positive man, who was impressed with our boy at the time.
We saw the chapalin who was very friendly and relaxed (in their training I guess!) and made the whole experience quite enjoyable.
I loved the school and their sporting facilties are second to none if your son is that way inclined.
I have a friend whose son has gone to Whitgift (now in Year 9) and she is really happy and he is excelling (tho not sporty so it works for all).

There were just those fees to consider. :(
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Must admit I have the fees are at the back of my mind, they are my least favourite thing about the schools!!!!

My son has his heart set on Whitgift, so am hoping that he gets offered a place. Am trying to be a realist for him and have told him that there is a lot of competition so he has done well to get this far and to be offered a place would be a bonus :D
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I would'nt worry, it just sounds like they have changed their structure for interviewing.

I think it would be very surprising if your son wasn't offered a place given the reaction you have had from them. Did you ask them about numbers?

You've got big gaps between your children which will spread the pain....... :)
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Trinity are not excepting anymore than 48 boys and Whitgift are looking at about 60 as they are expecting to have 3 forms of yr6.

When I think about it at Whitgift I was asked practical questions like 'How will my son get to school' and 'Would I be able to pay the fees if a bursary was not offered even if we received some help from the school'. Sometimes I feel confident but then I remind myself to not get too confident as you never know. :)
solimum

Post by solimum »

[quote="Mummyto3"]'Would I be able to pay the fees if a bursary was not offered even if we received some help from the school'. /[quote]

That's rather a tricky question? Are they hoping to hear "Yes, we're rolling in cash., can we make a donation to the Head's Entertainment Fund" or possibly "We'd have to sell the younger children into slavery..."
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Solimum - I answered yes, am so desperate for the place would say most things (within reason!). Maybe if I can't sell the other kids I could offer to clean and cook for the teaching staff!! :oops:
Alphamum

Fees - Bursaries

Post by Alphamum »

Is it true that I have read middle-class income (£50,000 or so) with a small mortgage and no debt is unlikely to get assistance financially? However, paying full fees or even 70% of the fees are high considering we also have to pay extras for the activities/exotic trips abroad.... so where do middle-class parents stand in all these? Is it a case of the lower you earn, the more financial help you get (bursaries)? In that case, I think middle-class income is the one with the most disadvantages........ wonder if you agree. Anyone has any advice? Thanks....!