Wally Boys Test - how was it for you?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amoda

Wally Boys Test - how was it for you?

Post by Amoda »

I realise that we can't go into specific details about the test last week but it would be good to get a feel for what other people thought. My DS said although it wasn't easy, it was easier than he thought it was going to be. However, I don't hold much faith in that as he has been inconsistent in his marks in the run up to the test! Although the last few weeks, he started started scoring over 90% across all papers.

My DS overheard some boys on the day saying it was 'really easy' if that is the general concencus, doesn't that mean it will be even harder to get in as the pass mark will be higher?

I am extremely nervous and cannot sleep at night!

Any thoughts/opinions/ crumbs of comfort welcome. :?

Thanks
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hello,
Not from your region(once was) but nonetheless can reassure you that those that come out saying "easy" are not necessarily those that get in.

I have had two children going through the process and both times those that boasted that it was" soooo easy" didn't actually get in.

It is designed to be a little bit challenging after all.
Take heart from your son's realistic assessment and try not to worry as you can't change what has already happened.Onwards and upwards to the next test.
Good luck 8)
Amoda

Post by Amoda »

Thanks Chelmsford Mum.

We are now focusing on the Sutton Grammar test in 7 weeks time. the Wally test results are coming out on the 10th October so we'll soon be put out of our misery!

I will let you know how he gets on.
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi
DS took the Wally Boy test.

He thought the maths & VR were ok, on a par with what he had been working on at home. I spoke to a couple of mums who's sons sat for WCGS last year and they all said that the maths was really hard.

DS found the Comprehension hard and said the story it was based on was "weird" which was a word another couple of boys we know also used! As English is his weakest subject, we are a bit concerned, especially when he said he left out several questions.

DS also said that he didn't get time to finish all the maths but thinks (!) he only left a few out but can't remember, isn't too sure etc..... Arrgghh!

The one thing he was sure on was that he thought it was easier than the Sutton mock test. He's not sitting for Sutton as it's to difficult for him to get to but will probably sit for Wilsons. We're having a couple of weeks rest before getting back on the treadmill (I think I need it more than him).

Plum
qpootle5

Wallyboys test- how was it for you?

Post by qpootle5 »

My sons experience was almost a mirror of plums. My DS's strongest subject is english and he also said that the comprehension was a bit left field in content, so maybe this paper will be the sifter when deciding who passes. Historically, I understand that Wallington are quite rigorous in their english test component so it shouldn't really be a surprise. However, my DS did finish all the papers with 5 min. to spare whilst others didn't finish any of them so I don't really know what to think atm but at least we'll know soon enough. Please moderate if I have been too specific!
qpootle5
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Wally Boys Test - how was it for you?

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Amoda wrote:I realise that we can't go into specific details about the test last week
Not sure when the sitting was for those that were ill on the original day... maybe the 2nd round has been done... presumably some could still be to sit it.

My DS found the exams OK but challenging and said he was short for time on the Comprehension and missed out a few questions due to time.

We shall see...
Animis opibusque parati
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

The other thing to remember about the Wallington exam is they do a late sitting after the CAF forms are in in the autumn term without the results then being available until March. I think it is likely it is the same exam so you will still have to contain yourselves!
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello
My ds took the wally test as well.
It is a little far from us so i mainly regarded this as a mock.In fact i decided to give him a break from studying a week before the test and he was so relaxed 8)
It is funny how boys are so similar in their attitudes and it is true that when they say it was really easy,it usually means its time to worry!
I couldn't give you much detail even if i wanted to as ds seems to forget everything the moment a test is done!!!!!!! :roll:
he vaguely remembered missing things but couldn't tell me how many!
I was wandering how come the schools dont warn you about leaking details about the test,if others could be doing the same one later?
Anyway good luck to everyone.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

Well, on the one hand the schools are convinced of the absolute power of the test to demonstrate ability, but none of them seem to be too worried that later candidates might know some of the paper!

However, that's nothing compared to the school which last year had a significant cohort of pupils taking the test who had sat the exact same test at another GS in another area the previous week!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now