Test yesterday

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Test yesterday

Post by Guest »

My neice did the VR and NVR papers of the Kent test yesterday. She only goe to question 61 of the VR paper before she ran out of time. Does that mean she's definitely failed? Or can I offer my sil and brother any hope at all?
Darren

Post by Darren »

I'm assuming there was the standard 80 Questions on this paper.

This equates to 76% approx...

If so she would have to get everyone of the 61 correct to stand some remote chance.

Obviously a standardised score is given but if it was 80 questions then it really doesn't look good.

I wish your neice good luck...

Post by Guest »

My daughter has her VR test this weekend and she too can't finish her pratice papers.She is doing the mulitply choice version.She had no problems with timing in the nvr papers.The sad thing is she's getting a score of above 80% which could be much higher if she could only finish.I'm not too worried,she can continue her education at her school which is very good.I thought I'll try for the local grammar school.I didn't want to look back after and say what if?
Darren

Post by Darren »

Yes Timing of questions is a big factor in someone passing and someone missing the mark.

The last week before the exam she should really be completing the exam with 5 Minutes to spare to check over any missed (or not sure). As she gets used to the practice papers she should be used to the pace.

She must keep moving through at a good pace without rushing. There are other posts about this but about 30 seconds per question is reasonable to determined if she knows the answer or not and Mark/Guess and move on.

The Z type questions should be left till last as they only have the same points as the short questions.

Post by 007 »

Darren,
What questions are Z types?

Post by Guest »

To be a bit more encouraging, my son took the City of London exam 2 years' ago and came out saying he'd missed out 25 (!) questions on the VR paper. He did get offered a place.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Apologies.. I should have explained.

Z type questions are the longer logical type questions.. And take longer to work out..

These could be working out numbers, finding order of things, maths problems , timetables etc

e.g Mr Jones, Miss Smith Mr Green all work in a school.

Mr Jones leaves for work at 7:00 ten minutes before miss smith,
Mr green takes an hour to get to work, 15 minutes less than Mr Jones
etc etc etc

Who gets to work first ..??

There are 21 types of questions for VR tests in certain regions, Bucks, Berks, Wirral etc etc

If you do a search on this group for type list I'm sure you will see them all. The Test papers from this site cover the 21 types...

For anyone taking the 11+ this year MUST know exactly what types are covered.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Hi Guest,

City of London is a fee paying school. £3000 per term. So I can believe even with 25 questions missed still offered a place.

How many questions on the paper to miss 25 out...?
Kent Mum

Re: Test yesterday

Post by Kent Mum »

Anonymous wrote:My neice did the VR and NVR papers of the Kent test yesterday. She only goe to question 61 of the VR paper before she ran out of time. Does that mean she's definitely failed? Or can I offer my sil and brother any hope at all?
Don't give up yet - almost everyone at our school (and several others)failed to finish VR, some by a margin. I've also heard of a number of children missing substantially more questions than your niece. If most people found the timing tricky, then the passmark will come down.

Also, those who race through a tightly-timed the paper to finish tend to make more silly mistakes than someone carefully finishing each question, so the end result may not be that different. This will also result in the pass mark being lowered.
So things may not be as bad as they look from the bare facts. Good luck!
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

I just wanted to say that my eldest daughter did her test at grammar school and came out saying that I should buy the uniform for the comprehensive because she had definitely failed the test. She said she missed out loads and couldn't do half of them. So I thought she hadn't got a place and I nearly bought the other uniform because I saw things in a sale.

However, she did get into the grammar school - so don't give up hope yet. She may have done better than she anticipated. Hope you are lucky!