Preparation for King Edwards in Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BruceWayne

Preparation for King Edwards in Birmingham

Post by BruceWayne »

Hi,

First time poster looking for some sound advice. My son has just started yr 5 and I want to prepare him for the 11+ exam for the KEGS in Birmingham next year.

I'm contemplating getting him a tutor in the Coventry/Birmingham area and would welcome any recommendations.

Can anyone advise me on the format of the papers he would be expected to sit?

Additionally I'd appreciate any recommendations on papers / resources that I can use to help him prepare.

TIA
za1

Advise

Post by za1 »

There is a lot of information on this site about the KEGS exam formats. Please look at the Birmingham site for posts around Nov 2008. This will give you lots of info about the exam format.

Strongly advise you either hire a tutor or self tutor.....both methods are fine.

There is a **** of lot of material that will help you.

Bond books are a good start.

Work on the following :

- Maths (up to Bond Level 5 ages 11-12).

- English (do lots of reading....vocabulary is key.....you can buy some vocabulary books)

- Verbal reasoning....Bond books can cover these.

- NVR - Bond books again cover these.

Also buy the Letts papers for each of the above - but cover these nearer the exam time.

There are more knowledgable posters like Fm.....search for her posts. They will help you.
BruceWayne

KEGS Preparation

Post by BruceWayne »

za1,

Thank you very much for your advice.
It's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

I'm contemplating getting a tutor but would prefer to select one on the basis of word of mouth rather than just googling. I understand that publishing details may be against the forum rules but that posters can provide details through the pm route. If this is the case then I would appreciate recommendations for the Coventry/Bhm area.
Many thanks.
BruceWayne

Vocab books

Post by BruceWayne »

Sorry, forgot to ask, any recommendations on the vocab books. Ta
za1

Vocabulary Books

Post by za1 »

There are a series of 12 vocabular books which I used. I bought books 7 to 12 only - don't buy the first 6.

I think they were called AA Vocabulary ....but I'm not sure. I gave mine away to a friend for his son. Ask WHS for this series of books or check online. There's 12 books for sure.

There's a vocabulary software sold on this site.....personally I found a lot of words on there for a higher level then needed for KEGS.

Get your son to read as much as he can. Harry Potter, etc.

Nothing beats reading. Lots of it.
fm

Post by fm »

It is AE Tuition by Stephen Curran. I've seen them in Waterstones but they also have a website, aepublications.co.uk. They cost £5.99 a book.

As ZA rightly says, only go for the later books 8 to 12.

Alternatively go for for Schonell's Essential Spelling Book 3 which has many of the same words in it.

Unless your child has a phenomenal memory, however, he will need to actively learn the words as well as do the crosswords etc.. I would suggest he does the crosswords in arrears i.e. learn any unknown words first, then do the exercises 2 weeks later.
floozey

Post by floozey »

My DD is also in year 5.

I am doing the 4th 10 -11+ Bond books - what kind of score should she be getting as they are quite tough!!

Also do I have to make her go through the 5th Bond books as these are ages 11-12?

I am new to this and a nervous wreck please help somebody!

I hear king edwards is more English.....I have the bond papers for English which includes a comprehension section and other grammar punctuation section......is this what the KE exam has?

She reads lots however is not good at writing but I believe you do not have to write a creative story.
fm

Post by fm »

I shall be starting my year 5 children on 9-10 Bond Maths, English and non-verbal in 3 weeks. I think you have started off rather high unless you have a very able child.
floozey

Post by floozey »

Thanks for your advice.......I thought I was behind however talking on this forum helps you learn!!! Like I mentioned before I am very new to this and I just want to make sure I do the right prep.

For maths and English I have started the 9-10 books however only getting through about 1 paper from each a week, thats why I was worried about whether I had to get through the 10-11+ and 11-12 books before the exam next year.....which if so then I would have no chance!!!

I am ahead of the game on the NVR which touch wood she is finding easier, however not sure if most children find this easy....do they ?? and how much does it count for the actuall exam, i.e is it a equal split of NVR, VR, English and Maths in the KE exam??

Is it advisable to go up to the 11-12 bond books??......or is it pitched too high for 11+?

Is the Bond NVR good prep for the KE NVR?
BruceWayne

Preparation for KEGS

Post by BruceWayne »

Hi,

I'm using the following
- BOND Maths Level 4
- BOND VR Level 4
- BOND NVR Level 4
- AE Curran for English [books 8-12]

in addition to encouraging reading

Viewing the earliers posts, I now realise that I should start with Level 3 papers.
However I'd appreciate answers to the following 2 questions.

1.) Are the resources mentioned above sufficient. For example should
I purchase the BONDS English book as well?

2.) Like 'floozey' I am concerned about the schedule. Attempting to
complete level 3, 4, and 5 papers sounds challenging even over a year.
Could you possibly comment on rough targets, e.g. attempt to complete
level 3 books by Jan, level 4 books by June, etc.

Thank you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now