tutors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

caz

tutors

Post by caz »

just wondering how many people have had a tutor for they kids ??????????
square_root

Post by square_root »

not us! couldn't have afforded it even if we'd wanted one!
cleo

Post by cleo »

I couldn't afford to but seeing the amount of children sitting the 11 plus I wish I had. My DS is sitting all four of the Trafford Grammar so I'm hoping he'll get a place in one. Surely it must be the same children sitting the exams ~(with a few exceptions)
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

We had a tutor. I work full time, often away and am studying for my own exams. I did do some work with my son but he went to tutor once a week. She is an amazing local lady who had been doing it for years. My son loved going to her, was never as keen as doing papers with me.

Everyone I know from round here had a tutor, but it wasn't intensive or competitive like I have heard elsewhere.

Much of the examined work doesn't feature in the National Curriculum or if it does not till much later in Y6 which is not much good to us, is it? :?

I think that some of the Trafford schools do papers with their pupils in Y5, but we are out of area so our schools don't do anything.

Anyone else going to admit to a tutor?? :)
ConcernedMum

Tutors

Post by ConcernedMum »

We didn't have a tutor and DS passed both Altrincham and Sale reasonably comfortably
caz

Post by caz »

my son has always done very well at school this year hes top in English and maths and a reading mentor he on a 5b level and we just always thought he wound go to a grammar,his school is in a money area,and some parents started in year 4 with tutors as my son wanted what his friends had ,i said no that he didn't need it,but he got a crazy teacher in year5 that told me his would be better off at comp with good sports because he likes sports,she must of had her eyes closed when teaching him,cos my son hates sport he runs like a girl,and the school wont allow the kids to do any papers ,i was advised to get him a tutor just for the papers,and after all queues Ive seen i am glad i did.but i don't think this is a fair way i haven't got loads of money but my dad has been very good to help with the fees,,but as my dad went to alty boys many years ago he cant understand why all this has to be done ,he says if you were clever enough you passed.i think the old way was the best when the kids just sat the 11plus in they own school,all this tutoring is just making the pass mark go up,and i feel the grammars are not getting the natural ability of kids.all this is doing is putting pure stress on the kids some doing the alty test were crying ,being sick,and 1 pure boy wet himself.my son has been doing a few hours a week at his tutor but some of the who go there were there every day of the six weeks holiday 2 to 9 and every night since plus some of them go to private schools,people are taking to the extreme,my son has come back from his tutor tonite saying if he falls by a couple of marks that i have to appeal cos that what some of the other parents have done .i said not a chance you if cant pass you wont be able to keep up with the work.i think bring back the old way 11 plus sat in their own school and build more gramme rs or just get rid of them completely its going to fare now ,
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Caz

I agree 100% with you. I recall my cousins passing the eleven plus in the eighties, there was no talk of tutors and I wouldn't say any of them were academically brilliant, just average at that time. We didn't have the eleven plus where I lived, but I went to an all girls ex convent school in Manchester which had been a grammar school and it was as good as any grammar.

Its ridiculous that children have to sit multiple exams. We did two and that was stressful enough, thankfully all over now, pass or fail. :) I feel it is hugely detrimental for the children to have to spend two months constantly sitting exams, but I completely understand that parents are doing it with their best intentions at heart.

I am horrified that you saw children crying and worse. I must say I saw some pale and harrassed looking kids in the queue at Altrincham and it wasn't nice to see. Its easy to say now, but if my son has shown even the slightest distress I would have not put in him for the exams. He was a little upset the night of the Alty exam afterwards but he was absolutely shattered which I think was the main reason.

We are lucky in that our catchment comps are pretty good, some parents move into the area for this reason, but I know thats not the case everywhere.
cleo

Post by cleo »

Tiddlymum and Caz i agree with you both. Children should do one exam and it should be up to the schools which children they want regardless of catchment area (within resaon).
Tiddlymum I hope your child did OK with the Alty exam. I know a lot of children find it really difficult. I thought it was only my child that did not complete one his their papers but DS said many in his room did not complete Maths. Anyhow, we should have the results for Alty by the end of next week.
One political party should have the courage to say they will introduced more grammar schools. I would definitely vote for them regardless of other policies (they are mostly ther same but worded differently anyway).
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi Cleo

My son missed six of the non verbal. He finished the rest. He though the maths was ok but not the NVR, which is his weakest subject.

I didn't think the results would be out by end of next week. I've got to say for Alty we are not holding our breath, with so many sitting the exam!

But fingers crossed for the other exam which he said was ok. :)

I really hope your son has done ok as well and anyone else on the forum whose children have sat it. Isn't there another exam this weekend- some of my sons football tream are unavailable this weekend due to exams? Good luck to anyone who is sitting this weekend and Stretford which I think is 10 Oct?
:wink:
Salfordmum

tutors

Post by Salfordmum »

We had a tutor for lots of reasons, including that our DDs teacher was off sick for a very long time...it was only for maths though. Whatever happens, she is 100% more confident in maths than she used to be, and has entered Y6 at level 4. She used to hate maths. We only entered her for 1 test, at her decision, and that was quite enough stress thank you. the overall outcome is that she is now a confident learner, so it has been worth every (quite reasonable) penny.