tiredness

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sally40

tiredness

Post by sally40 »

Hi a ll, just wondering if any of your ds and dds are experiencing tiredness. My ds has just started year 7 and is absolutely shattered but is complaining that he is not sleeping well and keeps waking up. Nothing is worrying him and he loves his new school and i have explained that i think his mind is just over active at moment with the big change , any advice please. :?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

My year 7 daughter is a bit the same.She comes in looking utterly exhausted and is, underlyingly.However she seems to be on a virtual adrenaline rush and is sometimes literally :roll: cartwheeling around the living room at 9 0 clock, which is bedtime!She was finding it impossible to get to sleep before 10.30 :shock:
Once she has done her homework I have brought the bedtime routine "forward".She has a hot chocolate and can stay up till 9 but in bed with her ipod and a book.That way she is I hope calming down before.
I think they are just soo excited about everything new.
I think she will collapse by half term. :(

The new winding down routine has resulted in her actually being asleep by 10 when I pop in to check.(means of a tickle test so no faking)
Milla

Post by Milla »

Y8 checking in here: grey and shattered. Not helped by so much rugby - got home at quarter past 8 one evening last week after an away match, having left home 13 hours earlier. It's a long day for them.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Yr 9 daughter was very tired first fortnight and now is back in cartwheeling form. :x
Just need feedback from years 10 up now.
Sally-Anne

Re: tiredness

Post by Sally-Anne »

sally40 wrote:Hi a ll, just wondering if any of your ds and dds are experiencing tiredness. My ds has just started year 7 and is absolutely shattered but is complaining that he is not sleeping well and keeps waking up. Nothing is worrying him and he loves his new school and i have explained that i think his mind is just over active at moment with the big change , any advice please. :?
Same here. Very happy at school, but can't get to sleep at night and is struggling to get up in the mornings, which is most unlike him.

I think it is all the new friends and classmates that are making him a bit over-excited and giving him a lot to think about. Examples: he asked for a complete change of wardrobe yesterday because he says that his clothes aren't trendy enough. Apparently the "preppy" look is now required? Last week's request was a hamster because (you've guessed it) "everyone else has got one". :roll:

The only thing that seems to help is to have a really long chat with him at some point each evening, when all of this tumbles out.
zee

Re: tiredness

Post by zee »

Sally-Anne wrote: Very happy at school, but can't get to sleep at night and is struggling to get up in the mornings, which is most unlike him.
Could it just be puberty?

We were amazed at how suddenly it kicked in with DS1 (only slightly more gradual with DS2) and specifically, how his long-established sleep patterns changed overnight to exactly those you describe. In his case it was spring term of year 7, but it's worth a thought - not that I can suggest anything to help, I'm afraid.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You could try a few drops of lavender oil on his pillow case.

Lavender oil gives a sense of relaxation and may allow him to unwind/relax enough to drop off to sleep.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My year 7 son is very tired, and actually getting a bit tearful. This morning he didn't want to get on the bus, wanted me to drive him, but as we would have got there at 8 am, far too early, he reluctantly agreed to get the bus.
He says he doesn't feel well, but then in the evenings he's as bright as a button, doing all his homework, counting up his merits etc. Not sure what to do with him except to bring forward bedtime to 8.30 so he can relax and wind down.
Year 11 daughter comes in and falls fast asleep on the sofa for an hour till teatime :shock:
Year 13 daughter has discovered how to powernap - I think she learned how to do it being bored in General Studies :lol: forty winks and she's as good as new.

LFH
happymum

Post by happymum »

My son did exactly the same thing in year 7 - wanting me to drive him to school the odd morning. It did pass - I think it's just while they are adjusting to the new routine.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

by the time they are nearly 17 they have time shifted.. still going strong and thumping around at past midnight and need dynamite to get them up in the morning.

(Mind you he did tell us at 4 that he just wasn;t a morning person. :roll: )

Miss yoyo was the same without the very late night. Now in final year at uni I was amazed that she was up at 8a.m when she came home
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now