What to say on the day of the test?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MrsK40

What to say on the day of the test?

Post by MrsK40 »

Anyone else wondering what is the best thing to say to the little exam takers on the morning of the test.... Lots of different ideas keep swirling round but I can't seem to settle on anything suitable.. Either it's too patronising, or too smarmy, or .. well you get my drift... :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I tried "never in the field of human conflict....." , etc etc - OK cos herman's rendition of Churchill's speeches usually seen by DCs as highly amusing....

sometimes best to say "see you later!"
andyb

Post by andyb »

We had already had the discussion beforehand that we would be happy with the result as long as he could say he had tried his hardest, so on the mornings of the tests I settled on "do your best".
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, we'd had 'the discussion' beforehand (about every day for the week before I think, not that I was panicing you understand :shock: :lol: :lol: ) emphasising that dd could only try her best and as long as she gave it a go it was alright by me. But on the day it was a hug, a kiss and see you later.

No matter what you do or say, it's one of those situations you walk away from thinking 'I wish I'd said this' or 'I wish I'd done that'.

Say it all beforehand, you never know how the moment of departure will go once it arrives (my dd got whipped away very quickly and unexpectedly so not time for very much - luckily for her!!).
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

A few days before the exam, we had a relaxing mother to son talk. I appreciated how much effort he put in for his prepartion for the 11+. We could not ask for more if he had tried his best on the day.

So on the exam day, I did give him a big hug ( love you!) and said, ' Focus, keep calm and good luck!! Those were the words I really wanted to say on that day.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

I agree with the other posters! Whatever you decide to say say it in good time as they sometimes do get ewhisked away - you might end up being late and so stressed/panicked!!

I remember on the day of the habs exam we had set off in good time dropped DD off to school on the way - forgot they were having 11+ exams at her school on the same day :shock: major traffic blocking a small residential road - I started worrying then to top it all off major roadworks on the route we had taken to habs - couldn't turn around country lanes etc - we arrived at the school with about 3 mins to spare - couldn't get out of the car - school rules!! - and car door flung open DS dragged out of car (not literally but you get my drifft!!) I spent the rest of the day completely stressed as that wasn't the start I wanted for DS exams (it was the first one and he had exams every day thereafter for about 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I hadn't gotten to wish him luck!! :( He passed and was offered a place so all was well but still a nightmare!

I had to visit the REhab section of this forum!! I was convinced we had let DS down and he wouldn't pass coz I was stressing!!

so in a nutshell say whatever you plan to say before you leave the house.
:D
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

I said to my DD "This is the real thing now so don't treat it like you did the practice one by gazing into space instead of checking your answers!" Plus lots of "I will still love you if you make a complete hash of it all but I know you won't" type comments. She was so relaxed about it all I thought she might not realise how important it was, but that was probably because I'd sucked all the anxiety out of the atmosphere to keep for myself while I waited for her!
teffi

Post by teffi »

Hello there

DS and I arrived too early and had to wait ten minutes in the car park. The opposite scenario to coolmum123. He began to get nervous so I told him the true story of when I cycled to my exam in my second year at university. My bike got a puncture and the tyre could not be re-inflated. The chain also came off. I had to abandon my bike and run the last half mile. I arrived with 2 minutes to spare, sweaty, puffed out , with my hands covered in oil.

This story made my son smile.

By the way, coolmum123 what or where is the ReHab section of the forum?
Lancaster_Girls

Post by Lancaster_Girls »

We left home with plenty of time - didn't dare risk Saturday morning traffic and parking. Arrived and parked on the car park with lots of time to spare. Did lots of people watching as other cars arrived as we munched a cereal bar - the people watching definately helped calm the nerves.

Went into school, gave daughter a big hug and said " I know you'll be great" Big smile, walked out and didn't look back - didn't want her to see the tears in my eyes! Must say I wasn't the only Mum with smudged mascara!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

teffi wrote:By the way, coolmum123 what or where is the ReHab section of the forum?
Rehab is only visible when you are logged in as a member teffi.

Scroll down to the bottom of the general sections, before you get to the regions, and it is second from last.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now