levels for year 5

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

levels for year 5

Post by Guest »

hi everybody,
i know this site is for 11+ mainly. my son is also preparing for the same for bucks. he is going to be 10 in april. we live in maidenhead and my son attends local state school here. he is in year 5 and in last year's school report they mentioned that he scored 4b in both maths and english(reading+ writing). i am not familiar with this levels system in education at all. could anyone suggest if those levels were ok at the end of year 4 test (SATs i guess) were of to achieve. what level should i expect at the end of this year (year 5) and one more qes. are these real SATs or school tests. i am asking this because i come to know that if a child has left behind by few points to pass 11+ and parents have to appeal, in that situation having good levels in year 5 is a big plus point (is it true?)thanx.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

4b is fine - there are optional SATs that some schools sit - you could check whether this is a 'test' or 'teacher assessed' level.

By the end of Y5 you would be looking for 5c [low level5] from where your child was in Y4.

thanx

Post by Guest »

thanx guest55.

checked with teacher

Post by Guest »

hi once again,
checked it with his teacher-she said these test were not set or assessed by teachers it means those results were for SATs. so what is the situation now, does it make any difference really?

Guest55 wrote:4b is fine - there are optional SATs that some schools sit - you could check whether this is a 'test' or 'teacher assessed' level.

By the end of Y5 you would be looking for 5c [low level5] from where your child was in Y4.

checked with teacher

Post by Guest »

hi once again,
checked it with his teacher-she said these test were not set or assessed by teachers it means those results were for SATs. so what is the situation now, does it make any difference really?

Guest55 wrote:4b is fine - there are optional SATs that some schools sit - you could check whether this is a 'test' or 'teacher assessed' level.

checked with teacher

Post by Guest »

hi once again,

Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The optional tests are standardised so you can compare your child against the cohort - 2005 results are on:

http://www.qca.org.uk/16869.html

They don;t vary much from year to year -
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now