Number of Children & Girls for 2011 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Hi everyone - I have lurked here for a while - but have a question now I hope someone will be able to answer. I have a girls in year 5 - we are in Bucks - catchment school Burnham Grammar, but literally just out of catchment for Beaconsfield High (by a matter of 10's of meters). Obviously I hope she will pass the 11+ - and this is what we are working towards. However, does anyone have any idea if the numbers of girls are lower in this age group (born 2000) (at school she is in a class dominated by boys almost 2:1) - I am trying to guage if we stand any chance for BHS being just slightly out of catchment (I know they took everyone this year - but that was unusual).

My other reason for wanting to know boy / girls number - and indeed total numbers entering secondary school at this point - is that my preference Upper fall back would be Newlands - in Maidenhead, Again we are slightly out of catchment - but it is an all girls school - so number of girls relevant here too.

Grateful for anyones thoughts or comments. :)
Thanks
Hope

Post by Hope »

Booklady, I am afraid I can't answer your question but I was wondering if anyone could also answer a question for me. If there is a higher percentage of boys in a year group, are the 11+ scores standardised across the year or are they standardised differently for boys and girls.

So, what I am really asking is, if there are more boys than girls in a year group do the boys have to get a higher score to pass. I was just wondering this as like booklady's DD year my son currently in year 6 has the ratio of 2:1 boys to girls, has there ever been a senario when many more of one gender or the other have passed leaving say the girls schools with not many pupils or vice versa.
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Hi Hope

I think I'm correct in saying that scores are standardised across the whole year. The child's birth date is taken into consideration but not their sex.

Best Wishes

Nif229

:D
Hope

Post by Hope »

thank younif229, thats what I hoped someone would say!
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

I also wouldn't mind betting that the girl / boy ratio evens out throughout the county. At my DDs school, some years have a very high percentage of girls, and other years have high nos. of boys. When you're looking at a class(es) of 30 or 60 children, it's common for that to happen. If you look at 300 or 600, or even better 3000 or 6000, it all evens out.
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Further to my last post, I don't know how many yr6 children there are in total in Bucks, but according to figures posted on this website, last year 5090 Bucks children took the 11+, plus 2235 OOC children. So I'm sure, with those sorts of nos. the girl / boy issue evens itself out.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Booklady

Unfortunately no-one, not even Bucks CC Admissions, really know the boy girl split until it turns up - hence the problem with boys' Admissions in South Bucks this year.

However, for reference, this was the split of all those who took the Bucks 11+ over the last few years. I am useless at posting in "Code" to make a table, but this is Girls, followed by Boys:

2009: 3588/3717
2008: 3578/3639
2007: 3449/3717
2006: 3568/3570

And no, the figure of 3717 boys in 2007 & 2009 is not a typo - it was exactly the same number! The figures are very consistent, as are the figures for the Bucks resident cohort for boys and girls, and so are the numbers of boys vs. girls qualifying. Last year was a very average year for girls in every way. I suspect that your theory may be correct - that for some reason there are more boys than girls in the south of the County at present, for no good reason - something in the water 10 years ago, maybe? :lol: However we won't know for sure until March 1st unfortunately.

To answer jellybaby's question, there were 5432 children in Year 6 at Bucks state schools, a very similar number to last year. Undoubtedly the private school numbers will be fairly constant too, although there may be more prep school children who are taking the 11+ because of the recession.

Nif is correct - standardisation is done on age alone - gender standardisation disappeared some years ago.

Sally-Anne
Hope

Post by Hope »

Thank you Sally-Anne, what interesting figures!

You are fantastic with all these numbers, what would we do without you :D
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Thanks for your reply Sally Anne - useful and interesting so see the numbers. Interestingly the lady at Beaconsfield High School said she thought that probably this year would be the same as last - in that probably all would be offered - including some out of catchment - so she obviously knows something about the numbers coming her way.

Thanks again. :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi booklady

I missed your reply the other day. The lady at BHS probably wanted to sound knowledgeable or make you happy.

Bucks CC do some estimating of numbers from medical record information, but until the deadline for CAFs to be submitted is reached no-one can have the faintest idea how many first preferences a school has received, nor how many of those will pass the 11+.

Still, she meant it kindly. :D

Sally-Anne