question on CAF order

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rajah99

question on CAF order

Post by rajah99 »

Hi
Just a little confused on the following, would appreciate any advice on the following.

I plan on putting the following grammars in Slough on the CAF in this order:

1. Herschel
2. Burnham
3. Slough Grammar

As you know, these three schools have 3 different tests. Additionally, we should know the results of Slough Grammar before we need to send off the CAF.

The question is this. If I know my child got a very good mark for Slough Grammar (eg. 118), would it matter that Slough Grammar is placed at position 3? If he didnt get enough to get into Herschel or Burnham, would he be offered Slough Grammar in the first round?

Would someone else who attained a lower pass mark, but placed Slough Grammar as their first choice, be given priority?
chad

Post by chad »

If he didnt get enough to get into Herschel or Burnham, would he be offered Slough Grammar in the first round?
Going on previous SG first round offers you should be offered SG.

See this thread for more info regarding offers etc,,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&start=0

Loads of debate on 2nd and further rounds......
:roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If he did not get 1st or 2nd option, his 3rd would be treated as though it was his first and he would be treated in the same way as all the other kids who achieved that score.

Just be sure that you really do want your 1st and 2nd choices though as if you are offered them then you do not have choice of going for yr 3rd or lower.
worried

When will be results out

Post by worried »

Hi..,

Any idea about the date of test results?

Thanks and regards,
Venkata
chad

Post by chad »

HI worried.... slough grammar test results will be out 'mid october'
Following the test you will be informed in mid
October 2009 of your child’s test result. If he/she
has reached the pass mark (usually 111), he/she
may be therefore eligible for a place at Slough
Grammar School. This is not an actual offer of a
place as places can only officially be offered by
Local Authorities on or after 1st March 2010.
There is no guarantee of a place as places will be
allocated according to children’s test scores (with
the exception of children with Special Educational
Needs, those with higher scores get priority) and
there may be more children passing the test than
there are places available
The consortium are usually out first week in December..
Early in December 2009 the results of the tests will be posted to the parents/guardians of the candidates. The letter will give the candidate's standardised score. If the candidate has reached the standardised score of 111 or above, he/she is eligible to be considered for a place at the grammar school in the Consortium, which has been named as the highest preference of the Consortium Grammar Schools on their Common Application Form.
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

chad wrote:
Early in December 2009 the results of the tests will be posted to the parents/guardians of the candidates. The letter will give the candidate's standardised score. If the candidate has reached the standardised score of 111 or above, he/she is eligible to be considered for a place at the grammar school in the Consortium, which has been named as the highest preference of the Consortium Grammar Schools on their Common Application Form.
I might not be reading this right, but to me this sounds like you will only be considered for your first preference school in the consortium still. I thought that had been changed this year.
wraysburymum

Consortium offers

Post by wraysburymum »

In previous years the consortium schools have been adamant that they have enough "1st preferencers" to fill their places that they do not need to dip into the "2nd preferencers". So unless you put your favourite in top place, you would be unlikely to get an offer from further down the list. This year, however, Herschel are doing it differently. They are offering places to the top 70 high scorers and then the remaining passers 111+ who are closest to the school. Presumably they will still have enough "1st preferences" within these bands? I'd love to see how this one pans out... they will have to be super-transparent with their allocation or I fear they won't know what's hit them! They already had to admit a 115-passer in 2008 who had them as second preference and was not allocated a place (via the ombudsman).
wraysburymum