Not sleeping well........

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

honscupboard

Not sleeping well........

Post by honscupboard »

My DD doesn't sit the test until next month, and we have been very careful not to overdo the practice (half a test paper a week) because they have homework (and a life) too. She is a worrier, but this week has started saying that she is not sleeping well (waking early rather than not getting to sleep).
I have asked her if she is worried about anything - the only thing is she is so desperate to get to GS. I have tried warm quilts, lavender spray and the warm bath routine, but still no joy.
Can anyone help?
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

Isn't it a difficult time? I can only suggest reassuring her and making all outcomes of the test result look appealing if you can. All of us can suffer subconsciously from stress and sadly it affects some children more than others.

An unrelated thought occurred to me about the test preparation: at this time it might be worth doing whole tests, timed, in order for your DD to build up speed. as the speed at which the children complete the test is as important as knowing how to do the different question types.
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

Maybe by doing more she can see how well she is doing - not just relying on me telling her!
Many thanks
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Mine occasionally get like that -when they're overtired. I found the best remedy is marching them up hill and down dale until they're all weeping with exhaustion. :twisted:

It usually restores their sleeping patterns.
Milla

Post by Milla »

isn't it going to be just the best thing when it's all over??!
My son sleeps in in the morning and rousing him seems mean. His tic, as it were, is to present me with compound words endlessly but ... ones broken into 3, 4 parts - am-bass-ad-or etc Of precious little use but he makes them to send himself to sleep. What AM I doing to him??! It's a thin line, isn't it, between making it clear that it's important to give it your best shot and take it seriously, and do possible damage by transferring stress. Luckily we have a karate grading the fortnight before so he's focussing on that one more and letting the GS test hover in the background. Great relief, actually, to have something else like that in the way first.
Hopefully your DD will catch up a bit at the weekend, have a couple of low-key dossy days where she can re-charge a little, get her attention drawn to something else - something new in her room, or the garden or, or.
Milla

Post by Milla »

we crossed!
there's you suggesting a full on exercise regime which now sounds a fab idea while I :roll: advocate dossing and lounging about!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Everyone is different. Whatever works! :lol:
SSM

Post by SSM »

Is she worried about the test, or could it be that she is just getting enough sleep and waking up early. As you say, she gets off to sleep no problem but just wakes up early.

Could something be waking her up, I know a while ago my son always used to wake at about 4am and then have problems going back to sleep, as I think he did not know what woke him up. Once I realised it was the milkman and told him (my son, not the milkman), he could relax and we have had no problems since.
paula

Post by paula »

I know your DD will be sitting test for Parkstone. Maybe because open eve was only last week it's more in her mind than before.
My DD said the thought of the test was actually far worse than the reality. She too was totally focused on PGS and desperate to go. All I did was to reassure her that all would be ok - whatever the outcome.
We did increase the testing etc nearer the actual date and she did take comfort from the fact she was doing well. PM me if you want more info on scores etc.
Good Luck
Px
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

A few weeks ago my daughter was yawning every time she saw a test paper, her concentration went and her scores almost went negative!
I put it down to stress and stopped all practice for a couple of weeks and started going out on evening walks in the countryside.
Then things started picking up again.
I agree with the other comments about exercise. Give your DD (and yourself) a bit of a break and get some fresh air - trust me it works wonders! (And helps you sleep).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now