CAF...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

CAF...

Post by Ed's mum »

We have just accepted an offer on our house and, apparently, will be moving out end Nov/beginning Dec.

We will be moving into Rugby and renting initially.

Planning on filling out CAF in this order:

1. Rugby High School.
2. Ashlawn
3. ?

I think that there is little point in naming a school in this county (Leics) as we will have moved by then.

But what if the sale falls through???

Should I name my catchment school here (Lutterworth) so that if it falls through we automatically default to Lutterworth??

Seems to make sense as I type...

Any views most gratefully appreciated.
cam

Post by cam »

2. will be Ashlawn selective stream (or whatever the terminology is) and
3. Ashlawn
Congrats, I hope the sale goes through, will you be looking for a 'good life' eco home?
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Yes, you would need to put down both options for Ashlawn (i.e selective and non selective).
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh right, thanks for that!!

Hope the sale goes through then...
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

We will be moving into Rugby and renting initially.
First off, yes you should have a plan B and put a "sale falls through" school.

Secondly, have a detailed look at the Rugby LEA rules and regulations, I think you have mentioned a Feb. deadline?

How is it worded about "primary residence", I have seen "more than six months rental agreement" and/or "evidence to dispose of previous primary residence by way of sale contract".

Having looked at an adjacent LEA here in Berkshire the rules are getting tighter, and so they should be, to stop families doing a six month rental to jump designated areas, and then moving back home.

Which you are not trying to do, but best to make sure all the paperwork is in order. :)

steve
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks Steve for the advice.

Yes, I am planning on 'phoning the Warks LEA tomorrow to triple check things. I already did a few months ago just to absolutely ensure that they knew what we were doing and to confirm that we weren't breaking any rules.

I agree that the rules should be tight.

We are moving for catchment reasons but also for Ed to be closer to school in anticipation of him attending school on Saturdays and Chapel on Sundays from next year.

We are renting just so that the property chain is less complex and faster-moving and intend to buy a property in Rugby as soon as we find one that we like.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Ed's mum,

I think you have more than demonstrated your honorable intentions. :)

It was me that was half-heartedly looking at catchment jumping by renting :oops: and discovered that the rules had been tightened, correctly so.

Enough angst here for a book and a film. :lol:

steve
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:mrgreen:
youngest

Post by youngest »

Is it only 3 options you can have on your form?

I have just looked at the Warwickshire site and on their form there is space for 7!

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... y+Form.pdf

Also with regards to Ashlawn non selective - I've looked at the Secondry School Admission Book and can't see that it gives the lowest ranking criteria where a place was offered e.g. with Avon Valley: Criteria 5 to a distance of 1.341miles.

Can you add that to your list of questions tomorrow? That might affect where you rent. One child I know of, was 70 something on the waiting list!

Do Lutterworth still operate the second level of priority to children who have attended feeder primary schools for more than so many years and below that priority for the distance you live from the school? This would pretty much guarantee a place for your dd if she remains at her Primary School wherever you live? Is this the safest option to make sure you have an acceptable school allocated? This happens for transfer from High School to the College, not sure if it is still the case for primary to High School! You could phone Leicestershire and ask!

The 140 bus is very usable from Rugby to Lutterworth for both schools!

Hope this is helpful! and not just more questions to float round in your head!

Edited to say "Found it"

Criteria for Leicestershire listed at: http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/education ... ction3.htm
Under "Co-ordination of Mid–Term transfers from September 2010 onwards"
5) Pupils who will have attended a feeder school for at least two years before the time of transfer.
For criterion 5 above, the child must have been enrolled at the feeder school on or before the start date of the Autumn Term two years before transfer
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

"The rules are getting tighter and so they should be" * Comment removed by Moderator*
Anyone with a bright child should be able to apply to any school they can realistically deliver them to each day.
*Comments removed by Moderator*
Perhaps you think you have some amazing right to the school just because you happen to live in a particular town?
Perhaps it is even more sinister and you think that only those who are obedient and do everything as dictated by the State should benefit from Grammar schools?
I do not know the answer but I do find the thinking behind these kinds of discussions can tend towards the offensive - Grammar schools should be for the most able who can manage to attend regardless of which village they inhabit!

(Moderator Sally-Anne)