KE Camp Hill Boys Year 7 Social Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
za1

KE Camp Hill Boys Year 7 Social Evening

Post by za1 »

An excellent idea by KECHB. We went to this event last night and enjoyed it. Mr Roden was excellent. Spoke to my sons form teacher and it was nice to hear a positive report from her about my son. They showed a video of year 7's first few weeks and gave us each a copy. Some food and drinks were served. A nice 'feel good' event.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Yes, it was very useful to hear the "other side" of how our son is settling in and to hear other parents' experiences of the homework - not to mention finding some of the parents of son's friends so we can arrange some out of hours activities. Slightly discomfited to learn every boy will play on the school rugby team at some point this year :shock: , it will certainly be Master 1880's only appearance. I do hope he doesn't do anything too embarrassing... :oops:

Mike
za1

KECHB

Post by za1 »

You won't be saying that when he picks up a rugby ball and suddenly finds he's a natural talent at the game :-)

My son is in the B team but i know that he 'tolerates' rugby....would much rather be playing football.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mike1880 wrote:Yes, it was very useful to hear the "other side" of how our son is settling in and to hear other parents' experiences of the homework - not to mention finding some of the parents of son's friends so we can arrange some out of hours activities. Slightly discomfited to learn every boy will play on the school rugby team at some point this year :shock: , it will certainly be Master 1880's only appearance. I do hope he doesn't do anything too embarrassing... :oops:

Mike
This sounds like a lovely idea, reassuring for you and helping all to feel settled in. As for the rugby, how bizarre! Did they say why?
mad?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

You won't be saying that when he picks up a rugby ball and suddenly finds he's a natural talent at the game
He's not showing any natural talent in the sequences on the DVD showing him playing rugby :lol: . However, he's enjoying it so far which is all that counts as far as I'm concerned.
This sounds like a lovely idea, reassuring for you and helping all to feel settled in. As for the rugby, how bizarre! Did they say why?
It is a lovely idea, and the other parents are quite a likeable bunch. I imagine the rugby thing is about making sure everyone feels part of it and gets involved at some level. While it's potentially a traumatic and stressful experience for determined non-sportsmen, I have full confidence in the school making it a positive and enjoyable one. They seem to be good at that sort of thing - very warm and humane.

Mike
za1

Post by za1 »

It is a lovely idea, and the other parents are quite a likeable bunch.

Mike
You obviously didn't meet me then :-)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

You mean you were one of the pushy ones monopolising MrR/MrP et al to explain why their son should be representing the school at plate spinning/hamster throwing/etc?

Mike
mm2

Post by mm2 »

Hi all,
Promised myself I wouldn't become obseessed again with this fab site in the run up to my DD taking her Kegs exams in Nov, but have been amused by the witty banter between mike1880 and za1.
All this talk of boys social evening takes me back to time last year with Ds- agree a great evening but felt could have done with photofit.... i mean pictures of DSs new friends so that it was easier to identify their parents.

mm2
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think that would make everyone stay away - it was a bit nerve wracking as it was, waiting to see what one's offspring had been up to when filmed! There was quite a bit of entertainment value in trying to work out which boy went with which parents though (we've booked Master 1880 to go through the DVD tomorrow and identify everyone for us :D ).

I was a bit disappointed that ours wasn't filmed eating lunch, he insists he has salad or veg with his dinner every day and I was itching to see some evidence. As far as I can see from the DVD, they all eat nothing but chips and baked beans :roll: .

Best of luck for your daughter for this year - not long to go now!

Mike
za1

camp hill evening

Post by za1 »

MM2.....good luck to your daughter. I'm sure she'll be fine.

Mike....I was seething at the amount of time parents spent with the form teacher! My wife stopped me from interrupting a chap who was with her 15 min knowing there were people in the queue!!! I mean - surely at this stage, the chat should be : " Erm...hows my son doing?" "Yes - he's fine...". "Oh....ok then see you at the parents evening". Ok add a few more questions.....2 - 3 mins max is fine suirely?

I had a quick chat with Mr Roden. He's a nice chap. I like him.

Mr Phipps is also quite an amusing chap. I think he is pretty proud about being invited to Eton to show them how to do Induction!

The video was amusing. I thought healthy foods were in fashion - the message hasn't got to KECHB.....everyone eats loads of chips.