Allocation question..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MJMoore

Allocation question..

Post by MJMoore »

We are finding ourselves in a bit of a strange situation, and I was wondering if anyone knows a little more about how the allocation works?

Basically, my daughter has taken the 11+, and we believe she has gone to HT appeal. I have always thought her fairly borderline, and am still not 100% convinced that a grammar will be the right place for her.

We visited Leigh Academy on Sat, and I have to say that I was very impressed. I have a couple of small reservations, but on the whole, I do believe that the environment and teaching styles would be good for my daughter. She is very keen to go there as well.

However, they are extremely oversubscribed, so there's a very good chance that she may not get in. And if that is the case, I don't want to miss out on a grammar school place.. especially as the remaining options around here are quite poor.

So, my question is, if we put Leigh first on the form, and then a grammar, could she still be offered a grammar place - or does that need to be first for her to be considered?

I'd be very grateful for any advice. :)
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

If you put Leigh first and she is elilgible for it, then that is what she will be offered. The way the CAF works is that the admissions people look at your first preference and if your child can be offered a place then they will offer you that school. If your child is not eligible for your first preference (eg lives too far away/first choice is a GS and child did not pass etc) then they will look at your second preference and see if she is eligible for that and so on. They work their way down the list of preferences if necessary until they (hopefully) find one for a school where a child can be offered a place. It doesn't matter if your first preference is a non-selective and your second a GS. If she doesn't qualify for Leigh, but does qualify for a GS as second preference then she will get the GS. But if she passes the 11+ and you put Leigh first then they will offer her a place at Leigh if she is eligible.

I probably haven't explained this at all clearly - brain is in meltdown due to imminent arrival of 11+ results!
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

Hi..
Bexley Mum 2 wrote:If you put Leigh first and she is elilgible for it, then that is what she will be offered.
Yep, that bit I understand.
Bexley Mum 2 wrote:It doesn't matter if your first preference is a non-selective and your second a GS. If she doesn't qualify for Leigh, but does qualify for a GS as second preference then she will get the GS.
This is the crux of my question, so thank you. I was just concerned that everyone's first choice is allocated first, so that by the time it comes to look at our second choice, the places would be gone.

I'm probably not explaining myself very clearly either! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is very important that you are careful in filling in the CAF. The only school that NEEDS to be top of the list (regardless of what any school might tell you ) is the one that you really want to go to! No good putting a school second that you would really like if you are offered a place:

so... examples

1 Leigh Academy
2 GS

will be offered at Leigh and will not be offered at GS even if passes and eligible.

1 GS (passes and meets admission criteria)
2 Leigh

should be offered GS

1 GS (passes but too far away or not high enough score - if relevant)
2 Leigh

AND

1 GS does not pass
2 Leigh

In these 2 cases Leigh will be treated as the first choice - Leigh will not know any different
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

If you put Leigh first pref and GS second pref and dd doesn't qualify for Leigh, then GS will effectively become your first preference. It's not the case that you will then have to wait until all those who put the GS first have been allocated a place and then they'll look at your dd.
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

hermanmunster wrote:
1 Leigh Academy
2 GS

will be offered at Leigh and will not be offered at GS even if passes and eligible.
Ok, so now a different answer! Can you tell me why we wouldn't offered a GS place in this instance?

Say we put:
1) Leigh
2) GS
3) Local comp

The Leigh has 240 places, and last year had well over 900 applications. Assuming the same happens this year, there's a good chance that we won't get in, simply because there aren't enough places.

Are you saying that we would then NOT be offered a place at the GS, but would be given the local comp?
SSM

Post by SSM »

MJMoore wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:
1 Leigh Academy
2 GS

Ok, so now a different answer! Can you tell me why we wouldn't offered a GS place in this instance?

Say we put:
1) Leigh
2) GS
3) Local comp

The Leigh has 240 places, and last year had well over 900 applications. Assuming the same happens this year, there's a good chance that we won't get in, simply because there aren't enough places.

Are you saying that we would then NOT be offered a place at the GS, but would be given the local comp?
If you daughter passed the 11+ and met the oversubscription criteria (whether that is distance or score) then you will be offered the GS. However if your daughter passed and did not meet the GS oversubscription criteria than she probably will be offered the local comp.
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:If you put Leigh first pref and GS second pref and dd doesn't qualify for Leigh, then GS will effectively become your first preference. It's not the case that you will then have to wait until all those who put the GS first have been allocated a place and then they'll look at your dd.
Thank you - that's how I'm hoping it will work. As much as we think that the Leigh may suit her better, if she couldn't get in, I'd much rather try to support her at the Grammar, rather than anywhere else.

Of course, once we've been to the open evening / day, our views may change.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

MJMoore wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:
1 Leigh Academy
2 GS

Say we put:
1) Leigh
2) GS
3) Local comp

It depends on the criteria for getting into Leigh - I don't what they are, i;ll have a look in the mo on the net... it may be distance or something like that . If you meet that criteria - regardless of what else you have on yr CAF then you would be declined Leigh, if then you are elgible for GS you would get that and if not the local comprehensive

re your question at the top... you wouldnd be offered GS if you got Leigh as you only get offered one school place and that is the first school on your list that they can offer you.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Just to throw another spanner into the works.

I think if you don't put the local comp as a third choice and your daughter passes the 11+ but does not meet the oversubscription criteria, then she might be allocated a GS that does have spaces but is much further afield.

I'm only guessing at this, but it would explain why some West Kent boys were given places at Folkestone GS when there is a local comp, which is their catchment school.