How's this for randomness?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
virtualmomma

How's this for randomness?

Post by virtualmomma »

Does anyone know what happens if twins are born a few minutes apart but either side of midnight between the 31st August and the 1st September?
I've always been curious to know having had late August born twins whose due dates were the 3rd September. Do you think school admissions would relax the 31st August cut off date or would they make them start school one year after the other?
~I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.~
SSM

Post by SSM »

They were talking about school admissions on the local radio a couple of weeks ago, and I think a woman said that she had twins born either side of midnight and that they had to go to different school years.

I can't confirm though if it is true or just an urban myth.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

This actually did happen to a set of twins a few years ago, memory is a bit vague but I think the rules were relaxed and they were allowed to start school together. :)
Marylou
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I'm sure I read fairly recently of a case where a lady had twins , one born on 31st Aug, the other on 1st Sept, and they contacted their LA to be told that they would in fact be in different school years. The problem is that I think by law the older one would have to start school by the beginning of the term starting in September, whereas the school would have no reason to take the younger one, shocking as that may be. :shock:
I also know of a child who was mistakenly offered a primary school place in the wrong year (his birthday is the 1st Sept). When this was discovered, when the child was part way through year 2, the school then tried to move him back a year. His parents refused, but then had some difficulty when he was due to go to secondary school - they only managed to get him to their preferred school because the school they applied for was undersubscribed at that time.
LFH
virtualmomma

Post by virtualmomma »

Looking for help wrote:I'm sure I read fairly recently of a case where a lady had twins , one born on 31st Aug, the other on 1st Sept, and they contacted their LA to be told that they would in fact be in different school years. The problem is that I think by law the older one would have to start school by the beginning of the term starting in September, whereas the school would have no reason to take the younger one, shocking as that may be. :shock:I also know of a child who was mistakenly offered a primary school place in the wrong year (his birthday is the 1st Sept). When this was discovered, when the child was part way through year 2, the school then tried to move him back a year. His parents refused, but then had some difficulty when he was due to go to secondary school - they only managed to get him to their preferred school because the school they applied for was undersubscribed at that time.
LFH
How awful, I have no problem with twins in the same academic year being seperated but it seems kind of unnatural to tamper with place order within a family. My twins are 8 minutes apart but although they are very much their own person there is no emphasise on who is older or younger, they feel they are just the same age. To have them in seperate years would put a greater emphasise on this which could possibly have pyschological implications on how they perceive themselves in relation to each other.
~I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.~
solimum

Post by solimum »

I found one report, but the twins concerned were only born a year ago so the vital decision has not yet been made

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nort ... 606885.stm
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Actually I think this might be the case I remember, I must have thought the twins had already started school as the council appeared to be handling it so reasonably! It is such an unusual case that I am sure common sense will prevail. :roll:

Contrarywise, I heard yesterday of a case of siblings born eight months apart :shock: - due to younger one being a complete surprise and premature - whose parents were given the option of not putting them in the same school year.
Marylou
Milla

Post by Milla »

we had that at school, a September born and an August born. And they looked the same. We all thought they were twins.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now