Statement of support

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sleepless mum

Statement of support

Post by sleepless mum »

Hi

Just a quick question to everyone. With regards to the statement of support from the Headmaster on the selection appeal summary sheet. I am just interested to find out if you guys got a little more support then
" The school supports the parents request for an appropriate place at Grammar school"

It also states that our childs date of birth is 17/12/92!!

My husband is today wanting me to make an appointment with the Headmaster to have it out with him as per his poor support for my son!
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Well, I can only say that does sound a bit lukewarm and we were lucky enough to have something rather more fulsome. What does the rest of the statement say? ie the comments on curriculum areas (I understand these are sometimes written by the teachers rather than the head).

I believe some headteachers are very reluctant to support any appeals, or perhaps they prefer not to use anything but a very standard statement for fear of being accused of favouritism?

Perhaps armed with some of the information from Etienne on the importance attached to the head's statement you could persuade the head to expand a bit. I'm not sure I'd 'have it out' - you need the head on your side!
Good luck
Louise

Statement of support

Post by Louise »

Just realised that there are two 'Louise's' logged on as guest so hope not confusing. My son (now in yr 8) got through on appeal 116/117 with a similiar lukewarm Headteacher's letter. The Head was known to be a bit tactiturn but even so my son's was more so than other childrens. The appeal was successful as he had all the right academic evidence and the Head (now retired) was known to be very accurate. However, even though he had a 1.1 ranking (old Bucks rankings) the panel did comment that they had 'seen more enthusiastic support'. I did approach the school and got a bit cross but wish I hadn't. I now accept that some children inspire more enthuisiasm in their teachers than others! Seems unfair but is probably human nature. Also personality of Head will make a difference to wording. So, dont worry too much (easier said than done I know) the panel should be looking at the academic evidence.
Good luck!
Louise

Statement of support

Post by Louise »

That should read he is in Year 8 - dont know how emoticon got on there!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi sleepless

It looks as if the Head completed the forms in a hurry - incorrect DoB, bland statement. It is also entirely possible that he/she hasn't a clue which child is involved!

I think that a gentle chat with the Head would not go amiss, enquiring as to what strength of statements he/she usually gives, and why that doesn't apply to your son?

They can always write a supplementary statement if they feel they haven't been fair on the original form.

Sally-Anne