Asking for Extra Time

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ally

Asking for Extra Time

Post by Ally »

Hi. Can anyone tell me how you go about asking for extra time for the consortium tests.

Yesterday my son badly factured one of his fingers on this left hand. You can't stop boys playing football. We spent nearly 8 hours in A&E.

He 's right handed, thankfully. But his left hand is supported by a large metal splint and of course is in a sling. Not sure how he's manage turning pages etc.
chad

Post by chad »

Not my area but I would suggest contacting your local admissions team as they seem to coordinate things..

Hopefully the number you require can be found here.....

http://www.hertsdirect.org/scholearn/ad ... whichteam/

WP may be along with some more detailed advice later.. but I would start there.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Thanks, I'll do a phone around tomorrow, once i've got got him back to school.

Hopefully he won't need the time, as he'll want to be treated a normal. At the moment we don't know how it'll heal. They had a lot of problems at A&E trying to re-align his finger. I just want be be prepared instead of a last minute panic.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Ouch!
My son did that last year playing tennis - I wish him better.
Good luck in exams!
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

You may need to contact the S.W. consortium schools as HCC do not administer the tests.
If you phoned one of your school preferences and spoke to the admissions secretary Im sure they would advise you what to do.
Hoping he has a speedy recovery.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Thanks

I've spoken to one of the schools, really helpful.

They need some form of medical evidence. Discharge note, letter from GP or hospital. The maxium extra time is 25%. This letter should be included with your SIF to all consortium schools that you are applying to.

My son might not get the time as it's not his righting hand. But he's all fingers and thumbs and can't even open a pencil case of the moment. I've just made an appointment to see the local GP.

Ally
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hi

We've just been to the local GP. Not our normal doctor, Very unhelpful My son should have the splint off by 21st Nov, but if not I'll need a letter from Watford Hospital, which I imagine would be long process. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it starts to heal OK.

Ally
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

Hi, I'd get on to Watford General about a letter asap while there's still someone there who'll remember you and your son! I have found them to be very helpful particularly if you can remain conciliatory (not always easy) and persistent.

However, (and I apologise in advance if this sounds unsympathetic) I do see why the doctor may not have been that helpful as he does need to see things as the 'big picture'. For example, a child in my year 6 class fractured his arm two weeks ago. It's the arm with which he writes and he will still be in plaster for the test. His mother was beside herself but two weeks on he is beginning to be able to use it a bit, and getting used to his left hand too. He should certainly get the extra 25% time but I guess it could also be seen as unfair if your son also had the same amount of extra.... (sorry)

Having said that though, your son is disadvantaged regarding preparation which is why I would get the letter - even assuming the splint is off by 21st Nov. Should it come to an appeal I would be producing that as documentation to show why he underachieved as there is plenty of evidence to show that (whatever the party line is) children who have practised a lot do better than those who haven't.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hi

Hopefully my son will be fine by 21st Nov. I'll see what they they say at Watford A & E next week. IF he did get any extra time I expect it would be only a couple of mins. But surely a child with a broken right hand when they're right handed should't have a problem with getting extra time.

Ally
Ally

Post by Ally »

We've just had a letter from Queens, offering my DS extra time / rest breaks for the test on 21st Nov.

I hadn't suppled any addditonal medical info or a doctors letter, apart from taking my DS with me when we dropped off the form.

My DS's has just had the OK from the hospital so his hand is no longer in a splint.

Just phoned Queens' to thank them and to say as much as I would love DS to have addditional time, he doesn't need it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now