Queen Mary Walsall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fm

Queen Mary Walsall

Post by fm »

I am posting this because people may not get round to reading the Walsall section which tends to be very inactive but I know some people will be doing QM as backup.

I have been told by a reasonably reliable source that QM is switching to a University of Durham style exam this year. This may not be correct and there is no indication of this on their website but I would suggest that anyone who has an interest in QM should telephone the school to ask if they have changed format and possibly post on this website, assuming they get a straight answer.
um

Post by um »

yes we spoke to the second master who has confirmed the exam ic changing this year
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Just to add my confirmation the QM sample paper is a CEM style. Also have heard from a trustworthy source that Sutton /BV is changing to CEM from next year.
stressedaddy

Post by stressedaddy »

Just to add my confirmation the QM sample paper is a CEM style
I assume this is the same sampler that is sent out to those applying for KEGS tests in Nov?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Is the sample the same as this one (from the Queen Mary's High web site)?

http://www.qmhs.org.uk/uploads/files/samplesheetW.pdf

If SCGSG/BV is to be a CEM test, even more people are going to enter it as practice for the KEs.

Mike
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

To stressedaddy no.. it's a different sample sheet but somewhat similar.
To Mike... yes sheet is per website.

Interestingly, the KEFG sample is identical to the one sent out last year. Can we poor unfortunates who did it last year and are doing it again this year expect a replication... at least of style and broadly speaking content?

Can feel the stress levels building... not that they ever completely subsided as always knew son was waiting in the wings!!
lindah162

Post by lindah162 »

Sorry to sound stupid, but you are all saying that the format has changed this year? So it won't be verbal and non verbal multiple choice. What can we expect then and what should we be practicing? Our son has QM as his 3rd choice.

Thanks
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

lindah62.. you will have been sent a sample sheet giving examples of the types of q which will be included in the exam. Yes QM has changed and is no longer Nfer VR and NVR. My son's prep. for this is same as for KE so if your child is doing KE test I presume they'll have covered the nec. ground for QM.
clarendon
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Interestingly - the QM sample paper is exactly the same as the one used in Warwickshire! :shock:

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... stions.pdf

I imagine that means you can assume that the exam will have the same points of similarity/difference to the KE exam that the Warwickshire exam does. There's been a little (surprisingly little?) discussion on both the Birmingham and Warwickshire fora.

Mike
lindah162

Post by lindah162 »

Hello and thanks,

Yes we have been sent the sample paper, but it seems incredibly easy. He is sitting KE also so hopefully we are along the right lines.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now